Hashtag (from the English hash - lattice + tag - tag) is a reserved tag in the form of a # lattice, which is used as the main way to search in social networks for thematic keywords. The hashtag structures information and helps users navigate the ocean of content quickly.
Post tagged #beauty, focusing on fashion and style
How to put a hashtag
To make a hashtag, you need to put the # symbol without a space before the word. Then the text will change color to blue and turn into a link.
There are simple rules for writing hashtags. Usually one word is used:
The tag word should be relevant - as accurately as possible reflect the meaning of the post.
If you need to make a link a phrase, it is always written without spaces. To visually separate words, use an underscore or CamelCase (humped case):
#morning coffee #happyLife #my_friends
It is better not to write complex phrases or words that are difficult to remember in hashtags. They are user-oriented and should be clear and simple.
How to use hashtags on different social networks
The hashtag is found in all global social networks - Twitter, Facebook, Vkontakte, Instagram, YouTube, Tik Tok. By clicking on it, you will see posts marked with this tag. Alternatively, enter a word with a hash into the search bar, and the system will return the desired results.
In different social networks, hashtags have different functions and rules of use.
Twitter is the cradle of hashtags. From here they spread to other social networks. The hashtag has been the main way to find and group tweets for many years. Since a Twitter post is only 280 characters long, hashtags aren't really big on it. It is recommended to use no more than three labels, and it is better to include them in the text to save space:
We are leaving for a week in the # mountains # Caucasus, soon there will be # photos
Since the main content of this social network is images, tagging plays an important role in navigation. By subscribing to hashtags on Instagram, you can receive notifications when someone posts a post on a topic that interests you.
You can add up to 30 tags to an Instagram post, but SMM experts recommend setting no more than 8. The most important thing is that the hashtags clearly describe the essence of the picture.
Hashtags on Facebook and VKontakte
For VKontakte and Facebook, the existence of hashtags is more of a tribute to fashion and traditions. Tags are rarely used, and a well-established search engine makes them unnecessary.
Nevertheless, the support continues to work, these social networks even have their own chips.
On Facebook, you can search for posts with hashtags directly from the address bar by adding the word hashtag to the link address. For example, type in https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/cinema and Facebook will give you a neat bunch of relevant posts.
In VKontakte there is a search for one account. For example, you want to find the hashtags # primus only in the posts of the user @ Cat_Begemot. In your search, write: # primus @ Cat_Hippo.
On Facebook, hashtag overload is discouraged; it is perceived as spam. For a post, it is optimal to use 1-3 tags.
On VKontakte, you also need to put grids without fanaticism - no more than five (although up to 10 is allowed).
How to use hashtags for promotion
Search and navigation are not all that the magic #grid can do.
Hashtags are effectively used to attract users and promote a product. Well-chosen tags work just as well as targeting Instagram or Facebook. Plus they are free.
There are several ways to promote a company and its products through hashtags.
Contests and promotions
Hashtag contests work to build brand awareness. They effectively “wind up” the number of followers, help create excitement around the page. The most popular tags from this series are #contest and #speed.
As a motivator, they use a gift, a big discount or a certificate for the purchase of goods. The winner is chosen from among subscribers who have fulfilled certain conditions. Most often, they ask to subscribe to a page, make a repost, mark friends in the comments, write a post with a hashtag.
Contest to increase the readership. Members must like posts and tag in friends' comments
Marketers encourage the creation of specific hashtags for a specific product so that a customer can easily find it by tag and review, and later order or buy. This method works well when launching new product lines and can be easily integrated into advertising campaigns.
Separate branding of each product is convenient for structuring the customer base. It allows each segment of customers to filter information on social media for the exact product they need.
Selected hashtags for the #chips category and for the product name #chukasalat
The hashtag with the name of the company is used in advertising, entertainment and viral posts, promotions, flash mobs, and integrated advertising on third-party resources.
Ideally, the spelling of the hashtag matches the spelling of the company name in all social networks and websites.
The name of the cheese production facility has been placed in the #more_sveta_cheese tag
Flash mobs and challenges
Hashtags work well in social or creative flash mobs that the company has created to increase member engagement, such as # draw_ a story or # share_good.
Although the flash mob was not invented as a marketing ploy, PR specialists actively use it to promote brands. It is enough to come up with a simple but exciting idea related to a product or company.
A cosmetics brand might offer a flash mob with the theme “Show what's in your makeup bag,” and a pet products manufacturer might launch a challenge dedicated to funny pictures of dogs.
A hashtag is added to the instructions for the flash mob that works to promote the business. For example, #my_basket_Oriflame. It is not necessary to mention the name of the company in the tag. You can ask users to take a photo with a product - for example, with a branded cup of coffee in a beautiful place (for a coffee shop).
Not only photos, but also videos, gifs, stories work as flash mob tools.
Location hashtags are used by restaurants, gyms, cinemas, and any institution whose location is important for attracting customers. By marking a city or landmark, you help users know where to look for you. If the fitness center is located in the Paddington area of London, then it would be logical to mark it #London #Paddington.
Services for the selection of hashtags
An entrepreneur needs to know how to shape a tag cloud to attract leads, not just an idle public.
Automated services help to find the most relevant words that the target audience most often goes through. They will also look for hashtags from related categories to further expand the circle of subscribers.
The Hashtagify service analyzes hashtag popularity for a month and a week, predicts visiting trends for the next 7 days, selects examples of posts and related tags. The service has many useful functions: a list of languages and countries in which the tag is most often found, different spellings, statistics on the most popular tweets.
Hashtagify only works for Twitter and Instagram.
#BidenWon hashtag analysis: click-through rate, related tag cloud, most popular user tweets
Hashtags are convenient for both readers and account holders. The main thing is not to abuse them, because an overdose of gratings causes rejection among users.
The world first heard about hashtags back in 2007. Nowadays, a rare significant post on social networks does without them. We figure out what hashtags are, how to put them, what they are for and how to use them effectively.
What are hashtags
The word "hashtag" comes from the English hash and tag. Literally, a hashtag is a word, phrase or phrase marked with a hash symbol. For example, # earnings online, # content, # October, and so on.
If you write a hashtag and publish a post with it, it automatically becomes clickable. People can follow it and see other posts with this hashtag.
This promotion tool is used mainly on social media. Let's look at why they are needed.
How to put a hashtag
It's very simple: switch to the English layout, put the # sign, after it, write a word or phrase. Once published, the hashtag will become clickable. Remember the important rules:
- words in hashtags are not separated by spaces. If you put a space, the hashtag will be non-clickable. The space can be replaced with an underscore: for example, # internet marketing;
- but the hashtags themselves, if there are several in a row, it is better to separate them with spaces;
- do not use the symbols +, $, &,% - the hashtag will also be unclickable;
- do not write too long hashtags - or at least separate words with underscores;
- you can write both Russian and English-language hashtags - depending on what target audience you are writing for.
There are a few more secrets of good hashtags - we will tell about them at the end of the article to the most patient readers.
What are hashtags for?
Once upon a time, hashtags were only used to find the information you need. It is now a powerful tool for promoting content on social media. Here are the main functions of hashtags.
1. Quick search for the information you need. Searching for information by hashtags is very simple: just click on the hashtag and see a lot of posts united by one meaning. The second way: type the desired hashtag in the search bar of any social network. Let's say you wanted to relax and watch memes. We type the hashtag #memes and voila - in front of you are thousands of publications on the topic.
2. Sorting posts. Suitable for those who have a lot of entries and related headings. For example, the Texterra agency has created special hashtags to cover different topics of posts. The hashtag of one of these headings is #TexTerra. After going through it, you can learn a lot about the inner life of the agency.
3. Promotion of a personal page or community - increasing views and traffic. If you add popular hashtags to a post, theoretically even those who don't follow you will see it. But there is one subtlety: too popular hashtags do not always work.
The secret is simple: too many people use them. Hundreds of posts with similar hashtags appear every minute. The chances that your post will be remembered among them (and even more so since they will visit your page) is not so great.
There is also a nuance. People are not fools and will quickly notice that your post's popular hashtags have nothing to do with its essence. It is clear, yes: you can cram a dozen topical hashtags into a post, but if you write about how the cat stole your lunch, and put #love, #children, #happiness, #autumn2019 and other popular hashtags with hashtags, get ready for criticism or indifference.
The last time I saw something like this was the example of the hashtag #third_sept. These hashtags were put, it seems, by every second Instagram user, and in posts that are completely unrelated to Shufutinsky's work and music in general.
4. Branding. This is a special kind of hashtags - personal or personal. Any brand or user can come up with them. Maybe a few - as your heart desires.
For example, a recent post on Instagram by Olga Buzova. There are several hashtags here at once - and mostly Olga's personal ones. They perform two functions: they sort posts on a specific topic (the 2019 tour, words of gratitude to the team and loved ones) and express the personality of the star.
5. Demonstration of humor, creativity. Some viral hashtags are, shall we say, on the brink of a foul. Take the same #fabulousbali - a hashtag that was born by accident or by mistake (well, it seems to me) from an ordinary Instagram user and instantly spread across all social networks.
Whoever did not tag him - even famous people took over the palm and happily beat such a delicious news feed. So they, apparently, wanted to seem modern, with a sense of humor and not lagging behind trends.
And some online stores jumped in and released T-shirts with the same hashtag.
What are the hashtags
Let's look at a few of the most common types.
These are the most common hashtags used by residents of all countries of the world. #Love, #beauty, #autumn, #work, #travel - everything that makes up our daily life.
Sometimes the world is embraced by a trend, and popular hashtags are created for this shop. As I already mentioned, on September 3 (it's time to introduce a national holiday, by God!) Runet was filled with hashtags dedicated to the song of the same name. Well-known companies also did not shy away from trends and put the hashtag # 3 September under their publications.
These are words that are relevant to the topic of the post. For example, a person went for a walk, ordered sushi at his favorite restaurant - he puts the hashtags # walk or # sushi. Made a beautiful photo - uses the hashtag #photo, #photographer.
Sometimes contextual hashtags are abused - they sculpt them through every word. Bloggers on Instagram are especially sinful. It looks funny at times: I have # eaten sushi and am very # happy. All # love and # good!
Everything is simple here: if a person is in a city (lives there, came on a trip or on an excursion), it is perfectly acceptable to use location hashtags. For example, #Moscow, #Petersburg and even the textbook already #fabulous bali.
Geographic hashtags are also actively used by companies operating in a particular location.
If the previous types are used by all users of social networks, then advertising or professional ones are those who want to attract a specific target audience, advertise goods or services. For example, an internet marketer puts hashtags related to his work. This is how he attracts new customers, shows his expertise in order to teach in the future.
Or a copywriter who writes the text, wants to share thoughts or introduce readers to his article. In this case, he can do this.
Personal or branded
As already mentioned, companies and individual entrepreneurs often create their own hashtags and actively use them. It is with him that anyone can see the publications of a person or brand and find them in the search.
How to put hashtags on different social networks
Each social network has its own subtleties. Let's take a closer look.
The use of hashtags came from this social network, and to this day they are actively used there. Moreover, without hashtags, very few people will see your tweet, except for subscribers.
Searching for posts by specific hashtags is easy: just fill in the desired word in the search bar. Next, select the desired category of tweets: “Popular”, “Latest”, “People” No., “Photos”, “Videos”.
It is recommended to use no more than 2-3 hashtags, otherwise your post may be considered spam. Do not overuse! Also on Twitter, it is customary to insert a hashtag directly into the body of a post, and not at the end.
This is where the expanse for hashtags of all stripes is! On Instagram, a post without hashtags is rare. This is not surprising: many people like to sleep in the evening, looking at beautiful photos of users, united by one theme. You can find posts by a specific hashtag in the search bar at the top of the page.
The algorithm is simple: if you add hashtags to your post, your post will appear first in the feed - until someone else posts a post with the same hashtag, and your post will fly down. There are also limitations: no more than 30 hashtags can be added to one post. Although this is too much, in my opinion.
Popular hashtags can be picked up using special services (I'll write about them at the end of the article). And also carefully watch what tags other users put to their posts.
In contact with
Search by hashtags is carried out in the same way: the desired word is hammered into the search line.
On Vkontakte, hashtags are not used as actively as on Instagram and Twitter. It is customary to put them at the end of the post. And not to abuse the quantity, of course - although there are no specific restrictions on the number of hashtags.
There is an interesting feature in VKontakte: with the help of hashtags, you can group posts by topic within one community. It looks like this: #reviews @ community name. These hashtags can be used to find all the reviews on the topic.
Posts with hashtags can be searched for, for example, in the news. You can select search parameters: search only in news or in comments, select popular posts that have collected a certain number of likes, and so on. Also, local hashtags can be searched right on the community wall.
In my observation, Facebook hashtags are rarely used. You can also find the desired entry by searching - this algorithm does not differ from other social networks. The results can be viewed both in a row and in the categories: “Publications”, “People”, “Photos”, “Videos”, “Places”, “Groups” and so on.
It is recommended to put no more than three hashtags per post. Otherwise, your post may not be shown to other users and get little reach.
The principle of hashtag search is the same. You can search for posts by topic in the categories People, Groups, Games, Music, Videos. But there is a nuance: when you start entering a hashtag, the social network itself gives hints (like T9 on a smartphone). A very handy feature!
There is also a limitation here: no more than 15 hashtags per video. Otherwise, everything is the same: videos are searched for by hashtags through a search (and video hosting gives hints), the hashtags themselves are placed in the video description or right in the title - in front of the video title.
There are no special rules: hashtags are placed in the post description, there are no restrictions on their number. The rest of the rules for writing hashtags are the same as usual.
It is especially worth noting "Telegram", although it is not really a social network, but rather a messenger with elements of a social network. But not the point. Telegram also uses hashtags to draw attention to your post. They are also used in group chats and personal correspondence.
A handy feature: when you enter a hashtag into the search bar, the results show not only the posts of other channels and users with this hashtag, but also your personal dialogues in which you used this or that hashtag.
How to choose hashtags - tips and life hacks
Tip 1: don't chase popularity
As we already wrote, it is not enough to add a bunch of popular hashtags to a post. If they do not correspond to the topic of the post, the post is not worth the price. Don't artificially increase your reach.
Tip 2: use popular hashtag lists
If you really want to touch the great (here is a sign of sarcasm), touch wisely. Lists of popular hashtags are regularly published on the Internet. And again, I conjure, use it wisely: do not sculpt all the hashtags in a row to any posts. Choose the most relevant to the topic. For example, for photographic landscapes with golden leaves, the hashtags # autumn, # autumn 2019, # October, # photos and so on are perfect.
Tip 3: don't reinvent the wheel
I do not advise you to come up with hashtags on your own: they will be understandable only to you and will not bring any coverage (people simply do not know about these hashtags, so they will not look for such information). An exception is made only when you come up with personal hashtags for your own convenience: to make it easier to search for your own posts on the topic. I have a personal hashtag on VKontakte #wikinamuzyka, which contains many posts on the topic. I personally need him: there is no talk of any progress.
Tip 4: think about user experience
Not every user will bother with a set of "multi-letters". Here, as in a search engine line: people do not type the exact meaning of a word or a company name. They write in the way that suits them. We recently wrote about how to use these trends in an article on voice search.
It's the same with hashtags. Let's say you are writing about website optimization and understand that you need to put the hashtag #SEO. But many Russian-speaking users will just type in a CEO - and it doesn't matter that this concept means something completely different (Chief Executive Officer). Therefore, it is better to include such a hashtag in the list as well.
Tip 5: don't overdo the amount
It is believed that the allowed number of hashtags is no more than 30 percent of the entire post. Betting more is bad form and akin to spam. Agree, a “thoughtful” post from one sentence and a whole train of hashtags behind it looks funny. And the queen is naked!
Tip 6: first - popular, then - not so
And again, the analogy with search engine optimization: SEOs do not advise to move to the top for high-frequency (read - popular) queries. This is very difficult: too many of your competitors dream of doing the same.
But okay: if you really want to, then you can. Put popular hashtags at the beginning, and low- and mid-frequency ones later. Leave the narrowest ones for last. Perhaps, it is on them that your post will be found by those for whom it is intended.
Tip 7: use tricks
There are special hashtags for getting likes. Seeing them in the feed, other users will like your posts in return for your reciprocal like. Lists of such cunning hashtags are posted in some databases. Some of them are: #likes #likesmutual #likesnews and so on.
I do not recommend using this technique all the time, especially if you need hashtags for your business. It looks that it is already there, undignified and cheap. But for promoting your posts at first it will do - why not!
Services for the selection of hashtags
If you are serious about your content and use hashtags as a promotion tool, we recommend using these services.
- Hashtags.org is an English-language site, but nothing prevents you from entering a Russian hashtag and looking at statistics. Shows a list of popular hashtags and at what time certain hashtags are most popular.
- Нashtagify.me - shows how popular a particular hashtag is.
- 3. Stapico.ru is a service exclusively for Instagram. Shows how to use hashtags and geotags, there is a search function by name and by hashtags.
- 4. MyTager.com is an application for iPhone owners. Shows a selection of hashtags that best match the typed word or post.
- 5. InstaTag.ru - a database of English and Russian-language hashtags. Divided into headings: the most popular hashtags, cities of Russia, emoji emoticons, special hashtags for likes, comments and subscriptions.
I hope this article was helpful to you. Write in the comments how you use hashtags - we will share our experience!
Every Internet user comes across the concept of a hashtag, especially for fans of social networks. But not everyone wondered what a hashtag is and what is it for, in general?
What is a hashtag
If you literally translate the term from English, you get hash - a lattice (symbol) and tag - a label. Thus, the merging of two words gives a new concept, which some refer to as a "distribution label".
The essence of the term
What is a hashtag Today? This concept is understood as a combination of the # symbol with any word or a combination of several words, written without a space or with an underscore. For example, # countryIT or # IT_country.
In social networks, such a combination is automatically transformed into an internal link, thus making it possible to divide posts and photos into categories corresponding to specific tags. In the future, this makes it easier for other users to find images or publications that match a specific topic.
In order for others to have the opportunity to find the post, it must be marked with a hashtag. Otherwise, the publication will remain the property of only you and your friends. It is not necessary to choose only one tag, there can be several hashtags, but you should not get carried away, otherwise it may be regarded as spam.
How to use it
Most often, hashtags are used to promote a brand or trademark. Thus, it is possible to designate the label as a tool for the work of marketers and webmasters. Or other SMM specialists. At the same time, it does not matter what exactly needs promotion: a product, event, services or something else, you can make anything public using a hashtag.
With the help of dividing marks, it is possible to combine information from different sources that correspond to one characteristic. Thanks to the tags, the user of the network will not have to spend a long time in search of information on a given topic, using a hashtag, you can get a selection of all available materials, sorted by popularity or publication date.
How to make a hashtag?
This is not difficult. It is enough to define the topic of the publication in one or two words and put a lattice in front of them.
There are some rules to follow.
- A hashtag can be written in both Russian and English letters, while one hashtag can contain letters of two alphabets. This approach is relevant only for the Russian-speaking segment of the network; in the English-speaking network, such tags will be more than useless.
- When writing a label, you cannot use punctuation marks and other characters, except for the underscore, which is allowed to separate words.
- The hashtag begins strictly with the # sign, followed by the category text without spaces. Several words of one label are not separated by a space, for this only the "_" sign is allowed, and you should not confuse it with a simple hyphen, this is exactly the underscore. For example, people do not fully understand what is hashtag , can be written as follows # IT country, in this case the publication will be displayed as a result of a search for the "country" tag, and IT will be dropped out of it.
- Two hashtags following each other must be separated by a space. For example, #country #IT are two different labels, and #countryIT is one, since there is no space and no extra pound sign.
In order for a hashtag to become trending, it is necessary that it be supported by as many people as possible. Now the following tags are relevant on the Internet:
- # follow4follow;
- #the photo;
- #the beauty;
- #life is Beautiful.
It can take a long time to list popular tags, anyone who understands how to put a hashtag , will be able to select the desired category for its publication.
If tags are used specifically for online promotion, then it is worth spending time and assigning a thematic hashtag to the publication. Only in this case will he bring the desired result. Tags that are not related to content will not have the desired effect.
What is a hashtag on social media
For the first time what is hashtag learned by users of social networks. It was there that the widespread use of tags began to make it easier to find publications that matched a particular topic. The first social. the network that implemented it was Twitter, although the tag was invented much earlier and was used in "IRC". Today, the hashtag is most associated with Instagram, but is actually used everywhere.
Instagram is a natural medium for hashtags. Within this network, their use is not only fully justified, but also desirable. They fully ensure the interaction of users of this network.
- They allow you to get followers and likes, and it's completely free.
- Bloggers have the opportunity to attract the attention of larger colleagues or brands and get a chance to be published in their public, for this it is worth putting their hashtag.
- A unique hashtag promotes a specific brand.
- Provides navigation in an account with a large number of publications, allows you to divide them into thematic categories.
- Allows you to track information on promotions, contests and other events.
- With the right approach, they allow you to organize sales, just ask those who want to put the appropriate hashtag and track potential buyers using it.
This is not a complete list of possibilities and directions of use. hashtags on Instagram. If you choose the right tags and put no more than 30 hashtags under the post, then you can make sure that these tags can work wonders within a particular network.
It is almost impossible to get the attention of subscribers and other users in this network without using a hashtag. But it's worth remembering that the tags must be relevant and do not use overly popular hashtags. In this case, there is a great risk of getting lost in the extensive search result, which is replenished every second.
On Facebook, hashtags were taken with a Hurray. Users began to actively use tags to segment their posts, and SEOs began to develop theories about the optimal number of hashtags for maximum results.
Facebook invites users to do more than just click on a link to get search results. You can also enter facebook.com/hashtag/countryIT in the address bar and get the same result.
For the best result, if you need to show the publication to the maximum number of people, you should assign the posts several hashtags corresponding to the topic.
In contact with
VK users also know what is hashtag ... Resource rules allow you to insert up to 5 relevant tags in each publication so that users can find it. A larger number is acceptable, but in this case there is a risk of being regarded as a spammer.
VKontakte allows you to carry out not only a large-scale search using a hashtag, but also within a specific community or profile. To do this, add the @ sign and the address of the group or profile to the tag.
What is a hashtag know both on YouTube and other social networks. They are also used in forums to make it easier to find and navigate. In any case, it is important to select the hashtag as reasonably as possible and not try to cram all possible tags into one entry, then the result will not be long in coming.
A long time ago, # lattice (oh t Latin octothorpe - eight ends ) was a simple pound sign (# is often used in cases where it is impossible to enter a pound symbol) or hash, hash, number sign, sharp or sharp (due to the external similarity of the two characters). But then the social bluebird came onto the scene and turned this mundane symbol into an online sensation. Today, whether you are on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or any other social media channels, you simply cannot avoid an all-encompassing presence. #hashtag
But what is a hashtag? If you've wondered this question but were afraid to ask, we've come up with a clear and concise explanation of everything you need to know about this internet phenomenon.
Not only that: once you get the hang of the "what", you will probably want to know the "how" to use hashtags. Buckle up because this article will help everyone addicted to social media, regardless of level. If you're a beginner, we understand that hashtags can be confusing at first glance. But once you understand them better, you will see that they are a powerful tool for increasing your social influence and audience engagement.
- ABOUT! Did we mention that all this is for 0.00 ₽?
If you are more advanced, you might want to know how to optimize your hashtags to increase brand awareness and attract more buyers. Read on for a complete guide on what hashtags are and how to use them effectively:
What is a hashtag?
With thousands of images posted every minute across all social platforms, it can be difficult to stand out from the crowd.
The possibility that your post will be noticed is not so great, except if only among your subscribers. This is where hashtags come into play. A hashtag is a keyword or phrase preceded by a hash character [#] written inside a post or comment to make it stand out and easier to find. Basically, by including hash tags in your post, you increase its chance of being indexed by the social network so that it can be discovered by everyone, even those - who are not your followers or fans. For example, if your company is involved in extreme sports, you can add hashtag list to your Instagram posts to hook these people with a passion for adventure and fun.
Why should you use hashtags?
Thanks to hashtags, your posts aren't just limited to your followers. Your content will become available to all other users interested in similar topics, who are searching for this hashtag. Choosing the right hashtag can dramatically expand the reach of your social media posts to thousands of potential followers, fans, or customers.
For example, if you have a bar and offer fresh juices, it might be tempting to use the obvious [# fruit], but be careful! With over a million posts under this tag, the chances of being seen are low. Therefore, by adding a specific tag such as
[# freshly squeezed juice], you will increase your chances. This is all the more relevant with a recent update on Instagram, where you can now follow certain hashtags: both your friends and companies.
So it goes without saying: make sure you're not just sculpting # for any reason.
Three powerful families of hashtags you can use on social media
- Content hashtags: If you are new to hashtags, first consider using the ones that are directly related to your product, service, market, or area of expertise. We call them "content hashtags" because they refer to content that your content will naturally associate with. As you can imagine, they will pretty much bring your brand to potential buyers on those social networks who were not previously familiar with your brand. For example, at Studio Ptarh we mainly use hashtags related to website content - such as [# seo], [# design], [# smm], [# marketing] or [# digitalagency].
- Trending hashtags: Another great way to increase your brand awareness is to use existing hashtags that have become popular with millions of users, also known as trending hashtags. Beware: Before adding the # symbol to a hot topic, remember to first ask yourself if your social media posts add value to an existing topic. Value can be interpreted in different ways: a unique piece of information, an original view or opinion about what is happening, or just a funny statement or image. If your post does not add any value, it is likely to be ignored and lost in a lot of posts. However, if your message is informative, funny, or viral, it will be conveyed by other users, ultimately increasing your brand awareness. In general, trending hashtags are a lot of fun! These can range from the holidays to casual gaming like the tweet below:
- Branded hashtags: Sometimes the problem with using generic or popular hashtags is that your posts can get lost due to hundreds of posts using the same hashtags. Hence, it is a good idea to create your own brand-specific hashtags. They can be used for general branding, promotions, events, contests, or other marketing campaigns. The key to creating an effective brand-specific hashtag is that no one else has used the hashtag before. It should be unique and memorable. For general branding, use a short motto or slogan. When creating hashtags specific to your marketing campaign, be sure to provide a compelling incentive for users to use them. For example, you can force users to post a hashtag for a specific campaign for a chance to get discounts or win prizes. In turn, your brand will benefit from widespread viral marketing advertisements. A brand-specific hashtag that is very close and dear to us is [# studioptarh], which we use on all our respective social networks such as Facebook, Instagram, VKontakte, Twitter.
How to use hashtags correctly?
To create a hashtag, all you have to do is put [#] and add the relevant keyword or phrase. You already understood this. However, not all hashtags are created equal. In fact, they are only effective when selected and used wisely. Here are two important general tips that apply to all social media and businesses:
- Be brief: To save everyone a headache, don't put too many words on one hashtag. Nothing turns people off like overly long hashtags like [#YouDon'tTryThisRead].
- Do not overuse: Another thing to avoid is to write the entire phrase with a hashtag in every word. [#Because #that # not # very #interesting # to read # is, #really? The number of hashtags you can add per post depends on each channel. But as a general rule of thumb, put the hashtag next to words that really matter.
- Think strategically: this also applies to "content hashtags". By definition, since you haven't created them, they are likely used by other brands. And that's a good thing, as people will follow this hashtag. But at the same time, when the hashtag is popular, you can be sure that your content will go unnoticed. Therefore, it is highly recommended to mix popular content hashtags with other hashtags that are more specific. For example, let's say you have a restaurant and you want to post a photo of your last gnocchi dish on Instagram. [# food] is the obvious choice, but with over 258 million posts using it, you have no chance of standing out. Try to find more "niche" hashtags such as [#gnocchi] or [#dennocchi]. As always, a little research will go a long way. Hashtagify is a good tool for this. And of course, nothing beats good old-fashioned trial and error: experiment, learn, and have fun along the way!
Best practices for using hashtags for every social network ...
How many hashtags per post: Research shows that the optimal number of hashtags is two. In addition, the activity of the tweets decreased significantly.
How to find the best hashtags around: It is very important to make sure that users are attracted to the hashtags you use. Hashtagify is a great place to track, it allows you to check popularity and fresh popularity to see if your hashtag is relevant.
Where to place them: While you are limited on Twitter with [#], you are less limited on where to post it. The hashtag can be used at the end of Twitter or included in a sentence.
How many hashtags per post: The more hashtags you use, the more engagement you see - up to a point. After about 10 hashtags, you risk losing engagement.
How to find the best hashtags: Go to the search bar and check what is already being used by your audience, competitors and industry leaders. Pay attention to the number of posts, as well as how many liked the first images received.
Where to place them: To keep everything organized and neat, it is best to place hashtags at the end of the signature, preferably separated by periods or asterisks. If your hashtags are concise, you can also add them to the comment on the post.
Believe it or not, hashtags are not important on Facebook ... We recommend limiting the number of hashtags to a minimum. Indeed, concise signatures tend to perform better on this platform. Of course, using your "branded hashtags" doesn't hurt.
LinkedIn and G +
The same as for Facebook: hashtags can be added, but they don't really affect your post.
How many hashtags per post: Pinterest itself recommends adding no more than 20 hashtags per post.
Where to place them: Hashtags only work within the Pinterest description.