An incredibly tasty and nutritious dish from the Far East is shawarma; at home, the recipe for its preparation is quite simple to reproduce. You need to take pita, pita bread, meat, various vegetables and sauce. Such a simple dish turns out to be incredibly tasty and aromatic. You can cook it from any type of meat, but the best option is meat from the thigh of a turkey or chicken. Less commonly, lamb or thin veal edge is used to cook shawarma.
If you are thinking how to cook shawarma, then you need a minimum of components. First, you need fresh food: vegetables, meat, spices, vegetable oil, sauces. Secondly, you need a grill pan if you want to fry the shawarma after cooking. This will make the crust crispy. You need to eat the dish immediately after cooking. In addition, the shawarma can be twisted for picnics or for work.
How to cook tasty and healthy shawarma?
Contrary to the prevailing stereotypes, shawarma is not a harmful fatty food, but a spicy and hearty dish that can replace a full meal. But it's still better to cook it yourself, and not order it in a cafe or restaurant. After all, you need to be completely confident in the quality of the products.
The main secrets of how to cook shawarma at home:
- Lavash should be fresh. An overdried base will crumble and break. Lavash should be moistened with water, and then greased with sauce, stepping back a little from the edge;
- Juicy and fresh meat. Breast and lean cuts should not be used. Before frying, the meat is marinated in a large amount of spices. Some cooks recommend baking the meat first and then frying it in vegetable oil. You can use a regular skillet or grill;
- Filling. The freedom of choice is not limited here! You can use cheese, mushrooms, fresh and pickled vegetables, any greens. Currently, french fries are often added to shawarma, but this additive increases the glycemic index, reduces the nutritional value. In addition, the potatoes become limp and spoil the taste of the finished dish with long storage;
- Spices make the taste more piquant and pungent. The classic version uses coriander, a mixture of peppers, turmeric, curry, paprika. Any spices and seasonings are used. For example, the Turkish version of the dish combines black coffee and cinnamon;
- Nuts and dried fruits. This component is optional. As a rule, peanuts, cashews, legumes are added;
- The right sauce. It is prepared on the basis of homemade egg mayonnaise with the addition of sour cream and light yogurt. All ingredients are taken in equal proportions. Then garlic, various spices, and salt are added to them. The dressing should be thick and should not run.
Classic shawarma: a recipe at home
Classic shawarma is a great dish for a hearty snack. It is better to cook it from a turkey or chicken thigh. Both types of meat are dietary products that perfectly saturate, but do not overload the stomach.
If you don't want to make homemade mayonnaise, then it is quite possible to take a purchased one from a trusted manufacturer that you trust. Many housewives like to add ketchup. But it is better to use more tomatoes. To prevent the tomatoes from giving juice, they should not only be peeled, but also removed the liquid part along with the seeds. The base is made from thin Armenian lavash, which is sold in any supermarket.
- Lavash - 1 piece;
- Ripe tomato - ½ piece;
- Cucumber - ½ piece;
- White cabbage or Chinese cabbage - 5 tablespoons finely chopped;
- Mayonnaise - 1 tablespoon;
- Sour cream of a thick consistency - 1 tablespoon;
- Yogurt - 1 tablespoon;
- Garlic - 1 clove;
- Salt, black pepper - to taste;
- Chicken thighs - 150 grams;
- Vegetable oil - 2 tablespoons.
- We wash the meat, clean it from films, cut into large pieces;
- We wash the vegetables, chop the cabbage into thin strips, peel the cucumber, remove the tips and cut into thin strips. Peel the tomato, remove the liquid part along with the seeds, cut into half rings;
- To prepare the sauce, mix the mayonnaise, sour cream and yogurt in a bowl. We introduce the garlic passed through a press, salt and pepper. Mix the dressing. If you like ketchup, then it should also be added to the dressing;
- Salt, pepper and fry the chicken pieces in a skillet in heated vegetable oil until tender;
- We lay out the lavash on a flat straight surface, grease it with sauce, stepping back a couple of centimeters from the edge. Put cabbage in the center, then cucumbers and tomato. Place pieces of fried meat on vegetables. To make the dish juicy, cover the meat with the remaining sauce;
- We fold the base with an envelope. It is important that the edges are covered and food does not fall out. Roll the shawarma as tightly as possible;
- Fry the shawarma in a dry frying pan until golden brown on both sides.
Homemade vegan shawarma: a recipe with a photo step by step
Of course, shawarma is, first of all, a dish with a high meat content. The meat component is the main one in it. Therefore, it is impossible to call a vegetarian analogue a full-fledged shaverm. But the idea of vegetarianism is close to many. Sometimes you just want to arrange fasting days and give up meat. The vegan product is ideal for gardening when there are a lot of vegetables at hand.
It is important to understand that vegetarianism has many directions. For example, lacto vegans can eat not only plant but also dairy products. In this case, cheese, sour cream can be added to the shawarma. A dish made from only vegetables turns out to be tasty, but not nutritious. From such a shawarma, you will again want to eat in 30-60 minutes. Beans should be added to keep the food feeling full without overloading the stomach. For example, roasted peanuts or boiled (canned) chickpeas.
- Ready-made chickpeas - ¼ glass;
- Armenian thin lavash - 1 piece;
- Adyghe cheese - 150 grams. You can use suluguni or do without cheese altogether;
- Medium tomato - ½ pieces;
- Cucumber - 1 small;
- Fresh cabbage - 70 grams;
- Garlic - 2 cloves;
- Sour cream - 2 tablespoons;
- Yogurt - 2 tablespoons;
- Mayonnaise - 2 tablespoons;
- Curry - 1 teaspoon
- Salt, sugar, black pepper - to taste;
- Vegetable oil for frying.
- In a bowl, mix yogurt, sour cream and mayonnaise, add garlic passed through a press, salt, sugar, black pepper. Stir the dressing until smooth;
- Chickpeas should be boiled until tender. First, it is soaked for 12-16 hours, and then boiled for about 2 hours. Therefore, it is better to do the procedure in advance or use a canned product. Shawarma can also be made when chickpeas remain in the preparation of other dishes. Along with main dishes, it can be added to appetizers;
- My vegetables. Chop the cabbage into a small strip. Peel the tomato, cut into rings or half rings. All liquid part with seeds should be removed. Otherwise, the finished shawarma will quickly turn sour from excess moisture. Cut the cucumber into long strips. You can peel it off;
- If we use cheese, then cut it into large pieces and roll in curry. Fry the cheese in vegetable oil on each side. Adyghe cheese does not melt or stick. Therefore, there will be no problems with frying;
- We lay out pita bread on the table, sprinkle it with a small amount of water, and then grease it with sauce, stepping back from the edge;
- Put chopped cabbage in the middle, then cheese, cucumber, tomato and chickpeas. If desired, cheese can be added last. Lubricate the filling with the remaining sauce;
- Roll the shawarma tightly with an envelope and fry in a dry frying pan on each side until browning;
- Serve vegan shawarma on a lettuce leaf.
As for vegetables, you can use any of them. Shawarma with beets, carrots, hard pear and feta cheese turns out to be very tasty and unusual. Such a combination for true gourmets!
Homemade fish shawarma: a recipe with a photo step by step
Not everyone loves meat. There are also followers of fish. Therefore, there is a very tasty salmon-based recipe for them. In general, you can take any fatty red fish. She is tender and juicy. Therefore, the dish will turn out perfect. It is better to fry the fish fillets in vegetable oil to get a crispy crust, which will make the dish more spicy. But you can use a slightly salted product.
The classic sauce is suitable, as indicated in the recipes above. But you can use greens and fresh yogurt. The dressing will turn out to be very tasty, healthy and nutritious. Therefore, fish shawarma is a great option for those who do not want to give up animal protein, but monitor their weight and health.
- Salmon - 500 grams;
- Olive oil - 1 tablespoon;
- Salt, black pepper - to taste;
- Red onions - ½ head;
- Cucumber - 1 piece;
- Sugar - a pinch;
- Armenian lavash - 2 sheets;
- Cilantro - ½ beam;
- Dill - ½ bunch;
- White yogurt - 8 tablespoons
- Lemon juice - 1 tablespoon.
- Divide the fish into equal portions. We leave the skin;
- Mix salt and black pepper. We rub the fish with the resulting mixture from all sides;
- Sprinkle the fish with lemon juice and olive oil and fry on all sides until crisp. Cooking the fish for 8-10 minutes. Then turn off the fire, cover the frying pan with a lid. Salmon will come to the residual heat;
- Rinse cilantro and dill, dry and chop. Better to do this with a blender. Add yogurt to the greens;
- Cut onion into rings, cucumber into strips, send to a bowl. Salt, pepper, add a little sugar. If you have wine vinegar, you can add a few drops to marinate the vegetables;
- Lavash is greased with sauce, on which we spread vegetables, and then fish. Cover the fish with a dressing on top and fold the shawarma;
- Fry the dish in a grill pan and serve.
Shawarma with caramelized beef turns out to be incredibly tasty. Pork lovers will find many recipes for themselves. The simplest solution in this case is considered to be a shish kebab wrapped with vegetables in pita bread. It turns out satisfying and incredibly tasty! In addition, it is more convenient to eat kebabs in pita bread and there is no need to serve bread separately.
You May Also Like:
Marshmallow at home: recipe with photo
That you can cook dinner quickly and tasty
Simple recipes for delicious cakes
Do you like our articles? Subscribe and search tasty and healthy ideas on chefmarket.ru 🙂
3 dinners for two with free
delivery for 1990 rub.
Shawarma is a very tasty dish and, moreover, healthy, especially if you do it yourself at home. It contains all the components necessary for the body - proteins, fats and carbohydrates. For example, consider what homemade chicken shawarma is. If you wrap boiled chicken breast in pita bread, and replace mayonnaise with sour cream, then such a shawarma will become dietary. But this will make it just as tasty.
Peking cabbage inside a shawarma is perhaps the only type of cabbage that children eat with pleasure. After all, you can't make them just chew Peking. We recommend making shawarma at home and have prepared 6 recipes for you on how to make shawarma at home. Write to your cookbook and cook!
1. Recipe for homemade shawarma with sausage
- To make shawarma at home you will need:
- Lavash - 2 pieces
- Cucumber - 2 pieces
- Korean carrots - 200 gr
- Sausage - 400 gr
- Peking cabbage leaves - 5-6 pcs
- Cheese - 150 gr
- Ketchup, mayonnaise - to taste
A bunch of fresh herbs - 1 piece
- Recipe on how to cook shawarma at home:
- Cut the sausage into small cubes and fry in a skillet for 10 minutes.
- Seasonings can be added to taste.
- Cut the tomatoes into thin slices.
- Cut the cucumbers into thin strips.
- Thinly chop the cabbage.
- Chop greens.
- We rub the cheese on a coarse grater.
- First, spread the sausage on the pita bread.
- We spread the tomatoes and cucumbers.
- Add cabbage and herbs.
- Then we spread a layer of Korean carrots, cheese, add mayonnaise and ketchup.
- We bend the edges of the pita bread and roll it up.
- We heat the shawarma in a frying pan with a thick bottom.
Fry over medium heat on both sides until golden brown and you're done. Shawarma with sausage at home is very tasty!
2. Do-it-yourself shawarma - fast
- Main ingredients for homemade shawarma:
- thin Armenian lavash
- chicken thighs (pulp)
- Korean carrot
- How to make shawarma at home in pita bread
- Cut off the flesh from the chicken thighs, finely chop and fry in vegetable oil until golden brown.
- We chop the cabbage and mash it with our hands, cut the cucumbers and tomatoes into slices (or whatever you like).
- Put cabbage on pita bread, fried chicken on top (I put 3 tablespoons per serving).
- Sprinkle with ketchup.
- Then put slices of cucumber and tomato, cover with Korean carrots and finish with mayonnaise. We wrap it up.
We heat in the microwave or put in a preheated oven for a couple of minutes. That's all. There is nothing difficult in how to cook shawarma at home.
3. Homemade shawarma with chicken in pita bread
- Recipe for 4 servings of homemade shawarma:
- 300 grams of chicken fillet (half)
- 2 small tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- 5 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 200 grams of white cabbage
- 4 tablespoons of kefir
- 1 small onion
- Armenian lavash 1 pack
vegetable oil for frying.
- Shawarma with chicken at home is prepared like this:
- We wash the chicken fillet under running water and cut into small pieces.
- Finely chop the onion and send it to fry in a small amount of vegetable oil
- When the onion becomes transparent, add fillet pieces to it, salt, pepper, mix and leave to fry.
- We wash the cabbage under water, finely chop it and put it in a bowl.
- Salt, pepper, stir, add a small amount of mayonnaise. Salad ready.
- Put the finished chicken with onions (it cooks very quickly, 5-7 minutes) on a clean plate. Cooking shawarma sauces.
- We take two small bowls. Squeeze 5 tablespoons of ketchup into one, and pour in a teaspoon of your favorite seasoning (I have hops-suneli). Mix well. Pour 5 tablespoons of kefir into the second bowl, add mayonnaise (4 tablespoons per eye) and squeeze out two garlic cloves. Mix well.
- We cut tomatoes and cucumbers, cut them into thin slices and put them on a plate.
- We put all the ingredients for shawarma next to each other on the table, so that it is convenient to put them out right away.
- We take a large board, spread half of one sheet of pita bread on it.
- We spread it well with two sauces, put the chicken closer to the right edge in a row (it will be more convenient if the chicken on a plate is divided into 4 parts at once).
- Next to the chicken, lay the cabbage in a row.
- Put tomatoes and cucumbers on top of the cabbage.
- We fold the finished shawarma so that one edge is folded so that the filling does not flow out. We make the other 3 shawarmas according to the same principle.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Fry the shawarma on both sides until golden brown. You can just put the shawarma with your own hands in a preheated oven for a couple of minutes.
If the sauces remain, put a spoonful of sauce in the open part of the shawarma before serving.
4. Delicious shawarma at home
- Fast and easy to prepare! For her you will need:
- thin Armenian lavash (can be replaced with pita) meat component
- young cabbage
- red salad onions
- young fresh cucumbers
- yellow bell pepper
- good sour cream
- white wine vinegar
- salt, sugar, pepper + any spices to taste
- How to cook shawarma at home
- First, prepare the sauce so that it stands for a while and all the flavors combine well.
- To do this, add chopped parsley to sour cream, garlic, salt and pepper passed through a press, mix everything well.
- Then marinate finely chopped red salad onions in salt, sugar and wine vinegar. Chop vegetables.
- Cut strips of pita bread to the required length and grease half with sauce, put the vegetable filling on top.
- The meat component can be boiled chicken breast, cooked in advance and cut into small pieces.
- Fry the breast in hot vegetable oil, stirring constantly.
Roll up neatly and tightly the pita bread with the filling, starting from the right side into a tube and fry quickly on a hot grill pan on both sides.
5. Homemade shawarma in pita bread
- Shawarma ingredients
- Lavash - 3 large sheets
- Meat (any pulp, you can even pork) - 400g
- Fresh white cabbage - 200 g
- Cucumbers - 4 pieces
- Tomatoes - 2 pieces
- Mayonnaise to taste
- Ketchup or sauce - to taste
- Salt, pepper, curry
Garlic - 2 cloves
- How to make homemade shawarma:
- Wash the meat, dry it slightly and cut into small strips.
- Put chopped meat in a preheated dry frying pan, add curry and fry until golden brown.
- At the end of cooking, add salt and pepper.
- Cut the cabbage into thin strips and press a little with salt.
- We also cut the cucumbers into thin strips.
- Cut the tomatoes into thin slices.
- Now we begin to lay the filling.
- Expand the pita bread and grease it with mayonnaise and ketchup, add a little chopped or squeezed garlic.
- Put the meat on one side of the pita bread, carefully sprinkle it with cabbage on top.
- Then spread the herringbone cucumbers.
- Put a few slices of tomatoes on top.
- First, we roll up the long edges of the pita bread, and then completely roll it into a roll.
- Heat slightly in a dry frying pan on both sides.
- Homemade shawarma is ready! It is better to eat it right away.
If you leave the shawarma in the refrigerator, then before use it should be heated in the microwave or in a pan.
6. Homemade shawarma in pita bread
- For cooking you will need:
- thin pita bread 2 pcs
- pork (you can also use chicken) 350-400 gr - you get a very tasty pork shawarma at home
- Beijing cabbage 100 gr
- tomatoes 2 pcs
- cucumbers 2 pcs
onion 1 pc
- Shawarma sauce at home:
- sour cream 3 tablespoons
- mayonnaise 2 tbsp
- clove of garlic 3 pcs
a bunch of dill
- How to cook shawarma at home in pita bread
- Salt pork, fry and finely chop, pepper.
- Finely chop the tomatoes, cucumbers, chop the cabbage.
- Cut the onion into half rings.
- For the sauce, mix all the ingredients, finely chop the dill, pass the garlic through a press and add to the sauce.
- Spread a little sauce on pita bread, put the filling, sauce again and wrap in a roll (the edges should also be closed).
Ready-made shawarma can be grilled if desired to form an appetizing crust.