Continuing a series of training step-by-step instructions on the Windows 10 operating system, today we will look at what you can delete from the C: C: C: free space from the disk. There is nothing difficult here and, as you yourself now make sure that the process will take no more than 5 minutes. Therefore, let's not postpone, immediately move to practice, namely cleaning our PC or laptop.
The above-step instruction is suitable for any versions of the Windows 10 operating system. This may be both x32 and the X64-bit OS.
Use Windows 10 tools
The first and easiest option, solve the problem when disappeared on the disk from:
- Run the Windows settings by pressing the gear icon in the Start menu.
- In the window that opens, click on the "System" tile.
- In the left side of the window, switch to the "Memory" tab, and in the right you activate the memory control mode.
Now the system in automatic mode will follow the cleanliness of your C:, and if you need, remove various unnecessary files. However, we can run the process and manually. To do this, click the link "Configure Memory Control or Run it."
In the window that opens, we set the cleaning mode, for example, when you have no place left, every day, every week and so on. Install the check box to the deletion of temporary files, also select the cleaning of the basket and the "Download" folder. When all the desired settings are brought by press the button marked in the screenshot below.
As a result, the process of deleting all unnecessary files will be launched and after a few seconds your computer will receive an additional free space.
This method is good, but removes not all unnecessary files. Therefore, to clean the C drive: even more efficiently, let's consider somewhat more efficient options.
Cleaning a disc
Even in Windows 7, the developers have added a tool for automatic disk cleaning with the system. Let's start it, set up and remove all unnecessary. Thus, we can free a large amount of free space in Windows 10:
- Go to the conductor of the operating system and press the right mouse button on the system disk with the letter C:.
- In the window that appears, go to the General tab and click the Disk Cleaning button.
- Install the checkboxes opposite all available items and click the "Clean system files" button, which are quite much weighing.
- After a short scan, we allocate all the files by setting the checkbox opposite their names. Next, click the "OK" button and confirm your intention.
To start the process discussed above, you need to work from the account with administrative privileges.
Removing recovery points
In order for us to return the system to the previous state in time when an error occurs, Windows 10 constantly creates control points of recovery, and they result in some free space and if there is little space on your disk, they can also be deleted.
Consider how this is done:
- Using the "Start" menu, go to the control panel.
- In the "System Safety" window that appears, click on the System System. Next, just click "System".
- In a small window, we switch to the "System Protection" tab, at the bottom of the press the "Configure" button, turn off the system protection and click the "OK" button.
As a result, the control points will not be preserved and thereby not to occupy all free space on your disk C:.
Reducing the basket
When files are deleted in the Windows operating system, they do not disappear anywhere and continue to take up disk space. The system simply marks them as deleted. So, we can reduce the space occupied by the basket. For this:
- We make a right click with the mouse on the trash can icon on the Windows 10 desktop.
- For each of the disks, set the basket size that we need.
- We save the changes by clicking the "OK" button.
Now, when the basket reaches its maximum size, files from it will be deleted permanently.
Turn off sleep mode
Hibernation works like this: When you put your computer into hibernation or hibernation, it takes a snapshot of the running operating system and writes it to disk. When the PC wakes up, this snapshot is read and converted to a working OS. Reserved space is used for such dumps on the disk. If we disable hibernation, accordingly, this space will be freed up.
Therefore, let's look at how to deactivate hibernation mode in Windows 10:
- Using the "Start" menu, launch the control panel.
- In the upper right part of the window, switch the display mode to "Category".
- Using the search tool, we find the "Power supply" section.
- At the next stage, on the right side of the window, switch to the link for setting the transition to sleep mode.
- In the "Put the computer into sleep mode" section, set the value "Never".
Removing unnecessary programs
Along with the installed Windows 10 operating system, a huge number of unnecessary programs are often installed, the existence and purpose of which you may not even guess. Let's take a look at how to delete objects like this:
- Go to the "Start" menu and press the button with the gear in the lower left part.
- Next, select the "Applications" section.
- We left-click on the program, the purpose of which is unknown to us or the one that is not needed. From the context menu that appears, select the delete button.
We can also switch to the classic control panel by selecting the "Companion programs" item a little lower.
Deleting the Windows.old folder
If we installed the operating system over the previous one, this folder will appear on our system partition. It can weigh several tens of gigabytes and contain the previous OS. If you do not plan to return to this system, let's remove the old updates:
- Go to Windows Explorer and find the Windows.old folder on the C: drive.
- Open the folder and find a directory named "SoftwareDistribution" in it. Let's go into it.
- Next, open the "Download" folder, select all its contents and delete.
If the system asks for confirmation, set this action for all file types and confirm your intention.
The Windows 10 operating system has a special directory where by default all files downloaded from the Internet are saved in large volumes. They can be unloaded from the C: or D: drive to free up a lot of space. This is done something like this:
- Open the downloads directory by finding it on the left side of the Windows Explorer quick links.
- Select all the files available here and deleted using the context menu of the right mouse click.
After you have done this, we recommend that you empty the basket. Otherwise, all objects will continue to occupy disk space while in it.
Cleaning up temporary files
To free up even more space on Windows 10, let's delete all temporary files:
- Using the "Start" menu, launch the system parameters (the icon with the image of a gear in the lower left corner).
- Go to the "System" section and on the left side of the window switch to the "Memory" tab.
- Click on the indicator labeled "Temporary files".
- A scan will start, as a result of which we will see the number of temporary files and will be able to select them in order to delete. In our case, more than 140 MB will be freed.
Finding large files in Windows 10
Now let's find and delete all large user files. To do this, we will use a miniature free and does not require installation utility called "Scanner":
- Download the Scanner using a direct link from our website, unpack the archive and run the program.
- In the upper left part of the window, select the disk on which the search will be conducted. We are waiting for the completion of the analysis.
- Hovering the mouse over the largest sectors of the pie chart, we find the objects that take up the largest amount of free disk space.
- We open the found directories, go to them and delete unnecessary files.
This is an indispensable utility with which you can put a complete order on the hard disk or solid-state drive of our computer or laptop. Using it, you will understand how the disk is clogged on Windows 10.
You can see more details on how to work with the application in the video attached at the very bottom of this page.
Find and remove duplicates
There is a possibility that some of the file has a copy of itself. Accordingly, the same object can weigh 2, 3, 4 or more times. It all depends on how many copies it has. Let's see how to solve such a problem:
- Go to the official site of the CCleaner utility and download its latest Russian version from there for free.
- Install the program, run it and go to the "Tools" section.
- In the submenu, select the item "Search for duplicates" and set up the filter as we need it.
- Then, using the "Find" button, we start the search for duplicates.
- Using the recommendations of our application, we remove unnecessary repetitions.
In addition to finding and removing duplicates, this application has other functionality that we will also need soon.
Reducing the swap file
A paging file is a file that records all the information that does not fit into RAM. Very often the computer has enough RAM installed and the size of this file has been chosen excessively. Now we will show you how to shrink a file and thereby free up several tens of gigabytes:
- Open the Start menu and use the search to find the Windows 10 Control Panel.
- We select the section "System and Security", and then "System".
- In the window that opens, or rather on the left side of it, select the item "Additional system parameters".
- In the small window, switch to the "Advanced" tab and click the "Options" button. In the next window, again switch to the "Advanced" tab, press the "Change" button marked with the number "3", uncheck the automatic paging file adjustment box and specify your own size. In order for the changes to take effect, press the "OK" button.
The changes will take effect only after restarting the computer.
We clean the registry and disk
Now, after we have removed all unnecessary from the C: drive, which was full in order to free up space in our Windows 10 for user data, in all possible ways, let's bring the matter to completion and clean the disk and registry from the remnants of unnecessary files. Implementing this is not difficult at all and the utility that we used to find duplicate files will help us.
Let's take a few simple steps:
- Launch CCleaner and start analyzing your computer.
- We are waiting for the completion of the scan, select all the necessary objects, and delete them.
- We are waiting for the computer to be cleaned up.
Now we are working with the system registry:
- Switch to the "Registry" tab and start searching for problems.
- Select all found problems and press the button to fix them.
- We confirm our intention by creating a restore point, if necessary.
Also, there is an extended cleaning of the C: drive, which can help even when all the free space has disappeared or is filled with something incomprehensible.
That's all. We managed to free up all possible space on the C: drive and remove all unnecessary files from Windows 10.
To make it easier for you to understand the essence of the process, we have prepared a training video on the topic discussed in the article.
Now that you understand well where the OS disk space is wasted and gone and what can be removed from the C: drive in order to free up space on a Windows 10 computer, we can safely finish our article. If you still have any questions, ask us in the comments. We constantly monitor the feedback from our visitors and, if necessary, give an answer that can help solve their problem.
Recently I met a poll "how much space do you have on the C drive", and this prompted me to show you how to clean the C drive of unnecessary files without deleting anything unnecessary.
As the survey showed, most people have only 100 GB allocated for the C drive, of which a couple of GB are free. This is not surprising, the OS and the necessary software take up 50 GB, plus garbage, temporary files and, as a result, the memory is all occupied. Let's get started and remove all the trash from the computer in order.
Quick clean Windows 10
We clean the downloads
I think everyone knows what this folder is and why it got full. If anyone is in the "Downloads" tank, this is the place where all your files that you downloaded / saved on the Internet are located. To find this folder on your computer, open “Computer / My Computer” and “Downloads” will be in the left menu.
If for some reason this folder is not in the left menu, then go to: Drive C, Users, "Your PC username", Downloads.
Now, as you understand, I propose to delete everything from this folder, except for what you need. It is better to move the rest of the files that will be useful to you to another disk.
To move files to another section, hold down the "Ctrl" key and left-click on the files / folders you need. After you have selected everything, press "Ctrl" + "X" (Cut) then open the folder where you want to move and press "Ctrl" + "V".
We transfer the downloads folder to disk D, E, F
If you have little space on the C drive and you cannot / want to expand it, it will be logical to transfer the downloads to another drive, where the capacity allows it. It won't work just like that, so you have to use the following method:
- Go to drive C, Users, "Your PC Username", "Downloads".
- Right-click on the "Downloads" folder and select "Properties" from the menu.
- In the top menu, go to "Location".
- Here is the path of your folder, which you can change manually or click "Find folder".
- Once you have selected a folder on another drive, click "Apply" and you're done!
Removing temporary files
Temporary files are stored in the "Temp" folder and they are all unnecessary junk that clogs up your computer. These files remain after installing programs, updates, etc. You can delete absolutely everything, without even looking at what is there.
First, let's open the Temp folder. Open "Drive C", then "Windows" then open the "Temp" folder. Select all files with the keyboard shortcut "Ctrl" + "A" and delete them.
Windows may notify you that you can only delete a specific file with Administrator rights. Click yes / continue.
If you have Windows XP, then go to the next point, if Windows 7-10, then do the following:
In the search, on the start panel write "% temp%" and open the folder.
Alternative way of opening: in the address bar, enter "C: \ Users \ UserName \ AppData \ Local \ Temp". Where "UserName" you need to enter the username of your PC.
In this folder, delete everything that you can delete. Personally, I have collected almost 2 GB of temporary files in 1 month.
We carry out cleaning with the Ccleaner utility
I would like to suggest that you use a program called "ccleaner". This is a very powerful utility that does half of the above, and also cleans cache, browser history and whatnot. If you don't need to clean something, for example, your browser history, you can turn it off in the settings.
In any case, I advise everyone to use it, so let's see where to download it and how to use it:
Go to the official website "https://download.ccleaner.com/ccsetup541.exe" and download the program.
Install and run the program. During installation, uncheck the boxes next to unnecessary programs (Avast, etc.).
Go to the "Options" tab, then "Setting" and select Russian instead of English.
Go to the cleaning tab and uncheck the checkboxes everywhere that you do not want to clean (browser history, etc.). After that click "cleanup".
You will be pleasantly surprised, after cleaning, the program will show how many MB it has freed up your computer.
Removing unnecessary programs
Over time, a large amount of software is collected, which is essentially not used. You installed something yourself, something installed itself (viruses from mail.ru, avast and others ...). Earlier, I already wrote «How to remove Avast », so let's take a look at his example:
Remove the program in Windows 7:
- Open the "Start" menu and click on "Control Panel". Now find "Programs and Features" in the list.
- In the menu, you see all the programs that are installed on your computer. Choose among them "Avast", click on it 1 time and in the top menu click "delete".
- You will open the program installer, in which there is an inconspicuous delete button at the very bottom. Click on it. After that, the antivirus will try to convince you, but you continue what you started and do not believe him.
- Done! Next time, be careful when installing software and games.
Remove Avast in Windows 10:
- Open "Start", then "Settings", after "System".
- Find "Avast" in the list, click on it, and then click "delete".
In this way, remove all programs that you do not use. Do not delete nothing you're not sure about, especially software from Adobe and Microsoft, and the rest is not really important.
Increase the space on the C drive
It is recommended that there is always at least 30 GB of free space on the C drive. This is necessary for the correct operation of the system and in case of updates, backups, etc.
Increasing the space on the C drive at the expense of another drive is quite simple and in order not to take a million screenshots, I suggest watching a short video:
We clean the basket
After you delete a file or folder, it goes to the trash in case you suddenly change your mind. These files accumulate there until the moment you empty the trash manually or restore them back.
After such a global cleaning of the C drive, be sure to empty the trash. In general, I recommend doing this regularly (once a week will be enough), especially since it does not take much time.
So that Empty trash , find on the desktop the icon with a trash can and the corresponding inscription, then right-click on it and select "Empty Trash" from the menu. Done! Case for 10 sec. and there is more disk space.
What not to do
Here I will try to list all the possible mistakes of inexperienced users, as well as mention the tips of other sites and explain why you should not do this (if you forgot something, add in the comments):
- Do not under any circumstances delete any files and folders on the C drive if they are there without your actions. Those. you can only delete the folders that you have created. Otherwise, it may crash the OS.
- Don't do anything with the hibernation file. Do not disable it, do not delete it. Only experienced users can properly disable it, so as not to face a system error in the future. The megabytes won are not worth it.
- Do not disable or resize the paging file - this will affect the performance of your system.
- Standard "Disk Cleanup". In the properties of the computer there is a standard utility that supposedly cleans the C drive from garbage. Yes, this is true, but for example, for 1 year of using a computer, 60 MB of files will be collected there (this is very small). It's just not easy already not relevant and don't waste your time.
- Uninstall programs completely (described in detail above) using the special installation files uninstall.exe. There is no need to delete programs along with the folder in the “program files” section, otherwise many other files of this program will remain on the disk.
As you can see for yourself, a lot of unnecessary files, programs and folders have been removed. Now you have a lot of free space on the C drive. I also recommend cleaning your computer so that it does not slow down:
How to clean your computer so that it does not slow down
From time to time clients ask: "Is the free space on the hard drive running out, where is the system installed, what files and folders can be deleted so that the system does not freeze and starts after rebooting?" In fact, a lot of things can be deleted or moved to another disk (if there is one, of course).
This folder is not displayed in Windows, but it is. And it can weigh a lot. For one user, it weighed 45 Gb. Where it is located and how to remove it is described here .
We usually download a huge number of files from the Internet, which we no longer need later. And they settle in this folder. You need to go into it and delete everything unnecessary, and distribute the necessary to other folders ("Documents", "Video", "Music", "Pictures"), and even better, transfer these folders to another local disk (if, of course, there is one ).
Moving folders "Documents", "Pictures", "Videos", "Downloads", "Music" to another local drive
If you move these folders to the D drive, you will significantly free up space on your system drive. Since mostly downloads and documents mostly take up a lot of space.
Windows / SoftwareDistribution folder
This folder is located at "C: \ Windows \ SoftwareDistribution". It contains updates for various distributions, Windows, antiviruses, etc. Everything in this folder can be safely deleted. Once I was helped by deleting it from this folder, because it contained antivirus files and weighed 15 GB. After deletion, the free disk space has increased significantly.
Windows / Temp folder
This folder is located at "C: \ Windows \ Temp". There are many different temporary files collected here. It can also be cleaned, but if, when deleting, a notification appears that this file cannot be deleted, it is used, leave it and do not delete it.
This folder is hidden, but located on the system disk. To see it, go to "This computer" ⇨ "View" ⇨ "Options" ⇨ "Change settings for folders and users"
In the window that opens, select "View" and at the very bottom put a point on "Show hidden files, folders, disks"
Now go to the local drive C ⇨ "Users" ⇨ Select your user (folder name is your login to enter the PC) ⇨ “AppData” ⇨ “Local” ⇨ “Temp” and delete everything that is there. If a notification appears that a file is in use, leave it.
If you don't want to bother with the above manipulation, insert C: \ Users \ into the address bar your PC login \ AppData \ Local \ Temp and it will be the same.
Removing unnecessary programs
Very often, our computer is simply cluttered with various unnecessary programs, which are also updated and take up space on the hard disk. I advise you to get rid of them with the program Revo Unistaller , which will clean up the tails of remote programs.
Hibernation is sleep mode. If you disable it, you can free up several gigabytes of hard disk. we will disconnect through the command line (Start ⇨ Command line ⇨ run as administrator ⇨ enter the command powercfg -h off. Hibernation disabled
Wise Care 365
A useful program can help you clean the C drive in the Windows folder by deleting unnecessary files. Downloading Wise Care 365 ⇨ Cleaning ⇨ System cleaning. It gives me that you can still free 1 Gb of unnecessary files.
I hope the article was helpful to you. Keep your device up to date and delete unnecessary files in a timely manner. All the best!
We also recommend:
Delete the "Volumetric objects" folder on Windows 10
We clean the WinSxS folder on Windows and disk space will increase significantly
Windows 10 Tweaker review - remove all unnecessary and customize for yourself
What to do if your computer keeps restarting
Greetings dear PC basics readers! Fyodor Lykov is in touch. Today I will tell you how to increase the space on your computer. Namely, what can be removed from the C drive .
This is the second part. You can read the first one here, in it I outlined the most common ways to clean the disk.
Read the article to the end and find out which files can increase the amount of memory on your computer. I will try to write an interesting and useful article.
Recommendations from the Author
The best way to clean your computer or laptop from garbage accumulated over the years, old programs, viruses, and so on.
This, of course, is to write to me in any convenient way. I will thoroughly diagnose and give all the necessary recommendations. And, of course, I will clean, remove viruses on the computer. This is for those who do not want to waste their time, to understand and study information. Those who are against the work of professionals, I recommend following the second option.
Why is there not enough memory?
Tell me, how often do you run out of memory on your computer? Even when you plan to carry out a general cleaning on it, you are faced with the fact that there is nothing to delete or everything that can be deleted has already been deleted, but there is still not enough memory. You are now probably thinking about external media, but, and if they are all clogged. How to proceed?
Of course, such a situation occurs extremely rarely, but it does take place. In this case, the solution is to clean the C drive. Let's figure out which files can be cut out permanently. We will consider it using the example of the operating system windows 10. In Windows 7 the same way.
Why? This operating system is the latest development of Microsoft Corporation. In it, the developers have eliminated the shortcomings of previous versions.
We clean the C drive
Hiberfil.sys - this system file is responsible for the fact that when the computer goes into hibernation mode when you turn it on again, all your work is saved, does not disappear anywhere, and you calmly continue to work from where you left off. Even if you need to remove the battery from the laptop, you will not lose anything with this file.
Before proceeding with its removal, think carefully about whether you are ready to get rid of it. If you are ready then keep the easiest way.
Removal can only be carried out with administrator rights
- To delete, press start.
- We select all programs.
- We go downstairs, we find the standard folder and the service ones in it.
- Right-click on the "command line", and from the list that appears, click on "Advanced".
- And then on "Run as administrator".
- After the command line opens, it should be written in exactly the same way powercfg.exe / hibernate off.
- And then press the Enter button.
Thus, we disabled the functions of this system, now the system will delete it by itself. This procedure will help free up space.
Temp - this system creates temporary files that are deleted over time. But they can take up a lot of memory. Therefore, you need to regularly clean it. This is not difficult to do:
- Go to the C drive.
- Find a folder called Temp, select all the files in it and click on the Delete button.
- Well, or the right mouse button (choose to delete).
The system will give you a warning, but feel free to skip it.
Basket - the place where everything that you delete goes to. She herself does not delete anything, but only accumulates, thereby reducing the amount of memory.
In this case, there are two ways out:
- Clean it yourself regularly.
- Or install a function that does not send files to the trash, but immediately permanently deletes them from the computer.
How do I install this feature? Very simple:
- Open your shopping cart.
- Right click on an empty space.
- A menu will appear in front of you, in it click on "Properties".
- A window will appear on the screen, in it find "Options for the selected location".
- And check "Shred files immediately after they are deleted without putting them in the trash".
IMPORTANT!!! After enabling this option, if you delete any document, even completely accidentally, you will not be able to recover anything.
Windows.old - This system retains all old parameters after system update. If some updates do not work correctly, you can always revert to the old version using it.
Removing it is very simple:
- We go to "Start".
- In the search box, enter the query "Cleaning".
- The Disk Cleanup application appears.
- In it, you need to clean up the system files.
- And only after that, find the Windows.old folder and delete it.
Downloaded program files or Downloaded Program Files. This archive contains files and applications of programs such as Internet Explorer, Activex or Java. Nobody has been using them for a long time, they are outdated, so it is most likely that this folder will be empty at all. Take and delete it with the right mouse button.
Now we know what can be removed from the C drive.
First, let's figure out where this folder is located and what is it responsible for? From the name you can understand that this is a place for downloading, as well as storing various files on a computer, when installing Windows 7, 8, 10, this section appears. Most of the data (music, movies, games, pictures, images, programs, documents and other important files.
Many users do not know where to find this folder, as well as why the space suddenly runs out, as a rule, when downloading files from the Internet, the choice is automatically made where to download, and therefore a person does not think about this important procedure.
So now you know what this folder is for. Let me show you where she is. Now we will find out what can be removed from the C drive. More specifically, we will analyze how to do it.
- I always have a lot of files in this section.
- Feel free to clean everything that you do not need and this will help free up a lot of disk space with.
Here on this article, what can be removed from the C drive has come to its logical conclusion. We have sorted out the key points for clearing the memory on our device. Hope you find it helpful. Share it on social networks, tell your family and friends, and I look forward to seeing you again on my website.
Many more interesting and useful articles await you. Leave your comments, likes and see you soon.
Sincerely, the author of the blog Fedor Lykov!
Quite often, users have the problem of filling up the hard drive C: \ on which the operating system is installed. As a result, Windows starts to work very slowly, some applications freeze, or do not start at all. In addition, there is not enough space to download important system updates or other necessary files.
In this article, we will look at ways to clean up the system disk to the maximum.
1. Delete temporary and system files
- we open "My computer" , in the explorer, right-click on the C: \ drive and select the item "Properties"
- in the window that appears, press the button Disk Cleanup
- waiting for an estimate of the amount of space that we can free up on the disk
- in the window that opens, press the button "Clean up system files"
- in the window "Delete the following files" check the boxes opposite all the items and click the "OK" button
- confirm file deletion with the button "Delete files"
- waiting for the disk to be cleaned. Depending on the number of files to be deleted, this procedure may take from a couple of minutes to several hours.
Below, in pictures, all the steps are sequentially listed:
2. Clean the "TEMP" folder
- In the conductor introduced C: \ Users \% UserName% \ APPDATA \ LOCAL \ and move to the folder Temp
- Select all the contents of the folder "Ctrl + A" and permanently removed "SHIFT + DELETE" . Some files may not be removed due to the use of their system, so you can skip them
- Go to the folder C: \ Users \% UserName% \ APPDATA \ Locallow \ and find a folder there Temp , then remove all files from it as in the previous paragraph
- Go to the folder C: \ Windows We find a folder there Temp. Delete all files from it
3. Transfer the paging file to another disc.
If the paging file is installed, then it also takes place on a hard disk. File is hidden and called Page File.sys. . We transfer it to a local disk D:
- Press the right mouse button on the icon "My computer" And choose paragraph "Properties"
- Select item "Advanced system parameters"
- In the tab "Additionally" and in the section "Speed" Press the button "Options..."
- In the next window, select the tab "Additionally" and in the section "Virtual Memory" Press the button "Change ..."
- Choose C. C. :And specify item "Without paging file"
- Choose Disc d: And specify "Original Size (MB)" ,"Maximum size (MB)" then press the button "Set" and "OK"
- The system for applying the parameters will offer to restart the computer. Reboot.
Below, in pictures, all the steps are sequentially listed:
4. Turn off the hibernation mode
If there is no need to use the hibernation mode, then it can be turned off, as it also takes place on the disk. Hibernation file is hidden and called Hiberfil.sys . For this:
- Open the command prompt on behalf of the administrator. Press "Start"> "Service - Windows"> "Command Line"> "Advanced"> "Run on the name of the administrator"
- In the command line we prescribe a command PowerCfg -h off.
5. Turn on the creation of recovery points on another disk
- Press the right mouse button on the icon "My computer" And choose paragraph "Properties"
- Select item "Advanced system parameters"
- In the tab "System Protection" in section "Protection Parameters" Choose Disc d: \ and press the button "Tune..."
- We will turn on the system protection and indicate, at your discretion, the maximum use of disk space to create recovery points. Press "OK"
- Choose C: \ and press the button "Tune...
- We delete all the previously created recovery points by pressing the button. "Delete" ,Press "OK", then "Proceed"
- We are waiting for the end of the removal
- After all of the above actions, it is recommended to specify Disc d: \ And create a new recovery point on it.
6. Additionally, cleaning using the CCleaner program
Also additionally, you can use the free program to clean the disk. CCleaner
After starting the program:
- Choose tab "Simple cleaning "
- Press the button "Analysis"
- Press the button "Clear all"
- We wait for the end of the cleaning
7. Transfer documents from the disk C: \ to another disk
All that is stored in folders "Downloads", "Documents", "Video", "Images", "Music", "Desktop" ,are located on System disk C: \. Therefore, to release the disc can be transferred to the stored documents in these folders on Disc d: \
In the article, consider different ways how to clear the C disc on your computer or laptop to optimize its work.
Method number 1: cleaning drive C using the built-in Windows utility
The standard windows utility cleans only the internal files of the system, but does not affect other software products.To free up space on the C drive:
- Open "This Computer" (My Computer) (on the desktop or through the search in the taskbar);
- right-click on the System (Local) drive C and select "Properties" from the list;
- in the new window find the "Disk Cleanup" button;
- in the field "Delete the following files" put a checkmark in front of all the items, before cleaning the disk, check the recycle bin and the download folder, if they have important files, then uncheck the box next to "Trash" and "Downloads";
- Confirm the action and wait for the process to complete.
For a deeper cleanup of the disk, you can delete copies of windows updates, but in case of non-root work with new updates, you will not be able to roll back to the previous version. Copies of windows updates can take up significant disk space, for example, in my case, it is 9 GB.
To clean up the update files, click the "Clean up system files" button and confirm the decision to delete the objects. Wait for the process to complete.
The time frame of the process depends on the degree of congestion of the disk space. A utility is available to clean all logical partitions, not just the local C.
Method # 2: deleting files in the Temp working folder
All temporary files are stored in the Temp folder. They do not affect the operation of the system, nor are they needed for the correct functioning of applications. You can delete them.Algorithm for cleaning the Temp folder:
- Go to the search on the taskbar and enter the query "% Temp%" in the search field and press Enter; Important! Before performing any actions in the opened directory, close all working applications and programs, including the browser. If you have open programs, you will not be able to completely empty the folder.
- in the folder that opens, select all objects and delete.
If you delete files through the properties, then the files will be moved to the trash, it is better to use the Shift + Delete key combination.
Method number 3: cleaning the disk using the command line (cmd)
The method allows you to work with the cleanmgr.exe utility (described in the first paragraph) in advanced mode. That is, use a deeper cleaning.Algorithm of actions:
- From the search menu on the taskbar, invoke the command line using the cmd query;
- download the file and run it on your computer: https://yadi.sk/d/Azv9kFo_yfPUjQ;
- in the new window, check the boxes next to all items in the list in the "Disk Cleanup" block;
- click "Clean up system files".
Do not close Command Prompt until disk space cleanup is complete.
Method number 4: cleaning the Downloads folder (Download)
This folder is released less frequently than other directories. It often accumulates a lot of downloaded information. But before deleting objects, open the folder, check if there are any important files in it.
To open the Downloads directory, go to the search bar on the taskbar and enter the% Downloads% command (you need to enter with% signs). Hit Enter. Delete the contents of the directory.
Method number 5: using a third-party utility
Using third-party software to free up disk space is convenient, but less secure. It is necessary to carefully monitor what the "cleaner" installed on the computer will clean. Programs do not separate files and objects by type and importance, but simply clear the partitions, directories, and disks specified in the settings. Therefore, it is very easy to lose passwords, important documents or media files without careful handling.DISM ++ program
Useful software for those who actively use a computer or laptop. The software product helps to control the system images containing disk spaces.Features Utilities:
- Optimize the work of Windows OS;
- monitor autoload;
- configure and track OS functions;
- Restore the system image of the Windows OS.
Distributed online for free. The advantage of software in commenting options when they are selected. Carefully read the "Description" block in the right corner of the program window.CCleaner program
The program before each disk cleaning procedure, offers the user to create a file to restore the system in case that something goes wrong. Previously, the software product was free, now the developers have released an additional Pro version with a trial period and an extended functionality by removing some options from the free option.Features Utilities:
- Helps to control the disk resources;
- Tracks up updates (updated automatic mode);
- Provides 100% software removal (removes even traces);
- Automatically cleans history.
Installed in a standard way. The interface is very simple and understandable. Newcomers are not recommended to change the preset cleaning options. The advantage of the program is able to choose what to delete, and what is not.
Computer cleansing procedure is very important. But in the pursuit of a free space should not be removed and immediately. Before proceeding with the procedure, especially using third-party software products, think about your actions. Thoughtless cleaning lead to data loss.
What can be removed from the disk with, and what is impossible?
Free disk space with Windows operation is constantly reduced. In independence from user actions - he wants it or not. Temporary files, archives, cookies and cache browsers and other software elements by performing your one-time mission (update, installation, unpacking), settles in the S. Plus folders to this - useful megabytes and gigabytes absorb some Windows functional modules.
The first remedy for such "litter" is a comprehensive cleaning of the C disk. It is necessary to perform it regularly and timely. Otherwise, the section will overflow, and you will not be able to fully use OS and, accordingly, PC. Windows will constantly interrupt your work warning messages - "not enough memory". It will be impossible to view the video online, as the browser will not be able to save on the computer being downloaded from the Content server. Other troubles may occur.
Getting Started Cleaning Disc C: What you need to know and do
Removal from the disk with all sorts of unnecessary elements - the procedure is quite delicate. Requires a user of high caution, attention. "Cleaning" should not harm the OS.
Contraindicately deleting files in folders:
- Windows (OS heart - all its components are stored here;
- Boot (system boot files);
- PROGRAMDATA (Could not be installed! Mounted applications may not be launched);
- ProgramFiles (Intellished by);
- Users (Custom data).
Some folders in which you need to "make cleanliness" are hidden by default, that is, not displayed in the directories. To get to them, do the following:
1. Press the key simultaneously - "Win + E" .2. In the "Computer" window, press the "ALT" key.
3. A horizontal menu will appear at the top of the window. Mouse over the "Service" section. In the submenu, click "folder parameters ..." .4. In the settings of the settings, go to the View tab .5. Scroll to the end of the list of options in the "Advanced Settings:" section. 6. Remove the tick opposite the "hide the protected systemics ...". Turn on the mouse click the "Show hidden files ...".
7. Click OK.
Where to start cleaning drive C?
First of all, you need to empty the basket:
- hover the cursor over its icon;
- press the right mouse button;
- select "Empty Trash" from the menu.
Large, small files, regardless of which partition are stored (drive D, E or C), after deletion are sent to C: \ RECYCLER, the "Recycle Bin" file. As a result, the free space of the system partition is reduced. Deleting a large video file or image (for example, an iso file) with a shortage of extra gigabytes can easily lead to an overflow of the C drive.
Advice! Before emptying the Trash, check your desktop for unnecessary shortcuts. Their sizes are not large, but the fewer useless files there are, the better.
Disk cleanup with the standard Windows utility
1. Click the "Start" icon. 2. In the right column, click Computer. 3. Right-click on the C drive icon. Select Properties from the menu. 4. On the property bar, on the General tab, click the Disk Cleanup button.
5. Wait a little while the system checks the directories for unnecessary files. 6. Next, in the "Delete the following files" section, select which items to delete and which ones to keep (check the boxes).
7. Click "Clean up system files" and then "OK".
Note. The use of this utility can be limited if there are no strong "clogs" in the system. When you need to clear 2, 3, 5 and more GB, you need to perform a few more procedures, which include not only deleting individual files, but also changing the OS settings.
Removing unnecessary files from system folders
Quite often, users, without knowing it, "put" content and software in special folders of the OS, designed to store a variety of information: "Downloads", "Images", "My videos", etc. Many programs and browsers send data to these directories by default (without changing the initial settings).
Open them one by one and delete everything you don't need. Move the files that are of special value to you into a logical partition (for example, drive D, E).
Advice! Be bold. Any item can be deleted here, and Windows will not be affected by it.
One of the main sources of OS clogging. Antiviruses, drivers, applications, games are placed in it. This happens during updates and installations. After the completion of the tasks, the used files remain in the "Temp". Of course, they need to be removed from there periodically.
1. On the C drive, go to the "Users" folder. 2. Click on the folder with your account name (username). 3. Then go to "AppData". 4. In the "Local" directory, open the "Temp" folder. 5. Empty it completely (send all files / folders to trash).
Advice! If you use the file manager "Total Commander": create a new tab (keyboard shortcut "Ctrl" + "up arrow") and go to the Temp folder. Thus, you will always have its contents in sight.
Disable the paging file
Pagefile.sys - OS virtual memory. When RAM (random access memory) resources run out, the system saves the unplaced data to this file. If your PC has more than 4.6 or 8 GB of RAM, the Pagefile.sys container can be disabled. On disk, it occupies about the same amount as RAM. For example, if your PC has 16GB of RAM, then Pagefile.sys will be about the same.
To disable the paging file: 1. Through "Start" (Icon "Win") Open the "Control Panel" .2. In the "System and Security" section, select System .3. In the Settings window, click "Advanced Parameters ..." .4. In the "System Properties" panel, on the Advanced tab, click "Parameters" .5. In the "Performance Options" options, on the Advanced tab, in the "Virtual Memory" section, activate "Change ...".
6. In the "Virtual Memory" window:
- Select a C drive;
- Turn on the click of the radio button "Without paging file";
- Click the "Set" button, and then "OK".
7. Restart the PC.
Hibernation is a type of sleep mode: when the user is inactive for a certain period of time, the OS saves all the settings to a special Hiberfil.sys file. Windows is also, as well as for pageFile.sys, reserves free space for it with an RAM equal.
Therefore, if you do not use the hibernation mode, it is better to disable it.
1. Press "Win + R" .2. Enter "CMD", press "ENTER" .3. In the command line console, enter - "PowerCFG -H OFF" (without quotes), hereinafter - "ENTER" .4. Restart OS.
Application of third-party utilities
Cleaning the disk C can be easily "entrusting" a special cleaner program, such as CCleaner. It can automatically clean the basket, memory dumps, clipboard, delete temporary files (cookies and cache) of popular browsers, as well as perform many other operations to remove system "trash".
Always monitor the volume of the S. Do not allow its overflow. Remove unnecessary files not only in order to release disk space, but also for prevention.