“If you want to lose weight, don't eat after six in the evening,” our parents told us and were wrong. Today, more and more nutritionists agree that it is not only possible to eat in the evening, but also necessary. The only point that should be taken into account is that you do not need to gorge yourself immediately before bedtime, but planning dinner as the most important meal of the day is imperative. What should be a dinner for weight loss and what to do if hunger attacks at night - experts of MedAboutMe tell.
Diet time: why in the evening you want to eat
The feeling of hunger intensifies in the evening - this axiom is familiar to everyone who is losing weight. This is caused, first of all, by the fact that by the evening a person usually feels tired, daytime chores and worries do not pass without leaving a trace. To cope with emotional stress and temporary loss of strength, you need to refuel. And a fairly hearty dinner in terms of not calorie content, but saturation of the body with nutrients - what the doctor ordered. Without it, there will be no surge of strength and energy, which means that the state of health will suffer. But this is not the only reason for the increased appetite in the evening.
An increase in hunger is also associated with the fact that the body is preparing for many hours of food restriction, because it has to spend the whole night without food. A protective mechanism is activated, which requires enough energy for all organs and systems to work normally.
Why do people stop losing weight in their sleep?
During the night's rest, when a person is basking in the "embrace of Morpheus", the pituitary gland actively produces the growth hormone somatotropin. Few people know that its action is aimed, among other things, at burning adipocytes (fat cells). This means that all metabolic processes occurring in the body at night are carried out mainly due to the burning of fats.
But if carbohydrates predominated in the meal menu and after the blood glucose level increased significantly, a large amount of insulin is produced. This blocks the effect of growth hormone, the pituitary gland receives a signal to receive an additional portion of energy and stops the expenditure of the body's reserves to support its life. This is why people stop losing weight in their sleep!
Artemieva Anastasia Aleksandrovna, endocrinologist, nutritionist of the multidisciplinary medical center "Nouvel Clinic"
The long-suffering question "what can you eat to lose weight?" equally can be attributed to both the intake of food during the day and the evening meal. The basic pattern persists: if you want to lose weight, you must eat less than the number of calories that you spent that day. Therefore, if in the morning you practically did not eat, and a denser meal came for dinner and at the same time you did not exceed your daily calorie intake, then there should be no weight gain. Conversely, if the calorie intake of the daily diet has exceeded your needs, then the absence of dinner will not help you lose weight.
The recommendation for time-limited food intake is primarily based on its effect on the gastrointestinal tract and sleep. You should not eat later than 2-3 hours before bedtime in order to prevent reflux and exacerbation or development of gastrointestinal diseases (gastritis, esophagitis, etc.). Eating late can also affect the quality and duration of sleep. However, research on this issue is quite controversial, so be guided by your feelings. If, after taking any food in the evening, your sleep is disturbed, then they should be excluded from the late dinner.
In order to limit the calorie content of food in the evening, a recommendation based on thermogenesis can be used, i.e. energy expenditure for digestion during the day. Thus, it is known that thermogenesis is more pronounced in the morning hours and minimal in the evening. At the same time, the energy consumption for the digestion of protein foods is higher than that of carbohydrate foods, and is minimal for the digestion of fats.
Thus, by giving preference to low-fat protein foods in the evening meal, you can somewhat adjust the daily biorhythm of thermogenesis.
Designing the Menu: The Best Foods for Dinner
The ideal time for an evening meal is different for each of us. Experts advise planning dinner no later than 4 hours before bedtime. So, if you and your household go to bed at 10 pm, you can gather everyone at the table at 6 pm. If you do not sleep until at least midnight, you can add a portion of energy to your body even at 20.00.
In the dark, spent at rest, the body not only rests, but also recovers. The purpose of the dinner is to provide this process with resources.
An ideal dinner consists of proteins and a serving of vegetables. Please note that vegetables should be twice the protein, and it is good if half of the vegetables are on the plate raw, and the other is cooked in the oven or steamed. It is easy to follow this recommendation, and its health benefits are great.
- Protein menu options: seafood, fish, mushrooms, cottage cheese, eggs, lentils, white cheese, beans.
- Vegetable menu options: green salad, celery, zucchini, broccoli, Brussels sprouts and cauliflower, bell peppers, pumpkin, tomatoes, cucumbers, avocados.
Lyubov Bogdanova, Head of the International Center for the Study and Practice of Conscious Breathing, Instructor for a Favorable Lifestyle
The meal schedule depends on the nutrition concept you choose. There are a great many such concepts today, and each has both its own success stories and its own examples of inefficiency. In some cases, the time of meals is strictly regulated and restrictions are introduced - observe intervals of at least 4 hours, do not eat after 18 hours, in some - you can use an intuitive approach - there is at any time products from the permitted range. Therefore, first of all, you need to clearly find out the recommendations of the specific power system that you decide to adhere to.
The effect of weight loss will be more noticeable if, in addition to the diet, you also bring into optimal condition other factors that affect your body - from physical activity to thoughts about yourself, your attractiveness, the complexity or ease of the path to harmony, etc.
It is also a good idea to master a food culture that is independent of your diet. The absolute leader in efficiency on the one hand, and ignorance on the other, is ... thorough chewing! However, it is it that gives a reliable feeling of satiety with a small amount of food. Therefore, this advice can be considered universal: take a small amount of the product that you can eat, and chew each serving at least 32 times - 1 for each tooth. You will feel full enough to sleep.
If your diet does not allow you to eat at night, you can learn simple breathing exercises to relieve cravings for snacks. They take less than 1 minute, they can be done in any position of the body (standing, sitting, lying, walking), even unnoticed by other people.
What to do if you feel hungry at night?
If you dine right, your hunger is not likely to return. But if the appetite, nevertheless, returned an hour or two after dinner, do not rush to go to the refrigerator, try to "outwit" it!
- Drink a glass of cold water.
Usually, this simple action is enough so that the feeling of hunger does not bother you. Water contains no calories, but liquid fills the stomach and reduces food cravings. During the warmer months, you can add a couple of ice cubes to the glass. It is believed that cold water not only helps suppress appetite, but also helps to slim, as the body spends additional energy to heat it.
- Indulge your body with herbal tea.
A fragrant herbal tea based on mint, lemon balm, chamomile and other medicinal plants will help you relax and tune the body to sweet dreams. If you are worried about insomnia, alternatively drink a glass of warm milk with a teaspoon of honey.
Anna Rogozyanskaya, CCM in national bench press, Champion of Crimea in national bench press, European Champion in power bench press (in her weight category), Miss Originality in FitShow 2016 StarCupUsmania
Everyone has repeatedly heard that it is forbidden to eat at night and at night. Because everything is deposited in the fat depot, and the depot is different for everyone - the stomach, sides, butt, and some even have arms. Everything that you ate at night will be visible in the morning in the form of a hidden abs and a lifeline, or loose skin on the legs in the form of cellulite. No matter how you "kill" yourself in training, be it the hardest, but you will not get abs, relief and a slender body by eating carbohydrates or fats at night.
If you want to eat, and you can't stop in any way, you need to make a snack with complex or simple carbohydrates. Fats can be eaten only before lunch, fruits in the afternoon until 18.00. In the evening, you can fiber and protein. Also in the evening you can have a snack with any vegetables, herbs, fish and drink green tea. Remember, the best evening snack is vegetables. The snack should be easily digestible, as our body rests at night.
To avoid nighttime snacks, you need to eat right during the day, then you will avoid nightly eating potatoes and cakes. Drink plenty of water throughout the day. Water not only removes thirst, but also helps to monitor the condition of the skin and the body as a whole.
People who are on a strict diet may break down sooner or later, so the advice: eat right for a week, and on Saturday, arrange a belly feast for yourself, eat everything that you love until 4 pm within a 250 ml-300 ml portion. And then start entering the mode again. This will make it easier to diet, and you won't have any breakdowns. Watch your diet, because as they say - the press is prepared in the kitchen. All healthy snacks and fruitful workouts!
What to eat at night if you want to lose weight?
Is it time to go to bed and you still feel empty in your stomach? This means that you really can't do without a snack. Without harm to health and shape, choose one of the following options:
- Apple, pear, orange, grapefruit, berries Fresh fruits and berries are among the best types of snacks before bed, they can give the stomach a feeling of fullness, while not significantly increasing the daily calorie intake. But they are extremely important to consume in moderation as they raise blood sugar levels. We have already said what this can lead to.
- A fresh vegetable salad. Fresh vegetables on the table - the first rule of long-livers. Each person should consume them in sufficient quantity in the season, it contributes to the normalization of the metabolic rate, saturates the body with vitamins. Choosing vegetables for salad, focus on your taste preferences, but remember, you can eat only a small portion. Cucumbers, tomatoes, cabbage, carrots, green salad - can become participants in your meal. Filling the dish is the best juice of lemon, from oils before bedtime it is better to refuse.
- Natural yogurt, kefir. High-quality dairy products do not contain nutritional supplements and sugar, but they have a lot of calcium necessary for the health of nails and bone fortress. Yoghurt and kefir do not provoke the gravity in the stomach, but quench the hunger and improve digestion.
- Seafood. A small portion of the sea gifts does not hurt a full-fledged night rest, but will help the rapid saturation of the body with nutrients, the appetite will be aspic.
Davtyan Inga Vasilyevna, nutritionist service docdoc.ru
Recent studies of scientists have shown that it is wrong to go to sleep on an empty stomach, it can break the dream and metabolic processes of the body. But it is also not necessary to ride. It is important to keep the golden middle so that the evening snack was useful. Meal at night can help increase weight only in case of incorrect selection of products and overeating. Proper nutrition should contribute to weight loss and burning fat deposits, and not interfere with it.
The main problem of people who have dinner at the later time is the calorie bust, and the use of heavy food. Do not forget about the size of the portion and its calories. Often, a glass of wine or other alcoholic beverage is served to dinner, or tea with sugar. As a result, all efforts to lose weight do not bring results. Therefore, first of all, it is necessary to choose the right diet for evening snacks and comply with some simple rules.
So, that's what you can eat overnight and not recover:
- Low fatty fermented milk products are altogether: cottage cheese, kefir, natural yogurt, rippy;
- Non-fat poultry meat: chicken breast, turkey in boiled, stew or baked form 50 -60 g with a vegetable side dish;
- Fish and seafood 80-100 g in combination with fresh or stewed vegetables;
- Protein omelet with vegetables;
- Vegetables: carrots, cabbage, pumpkin, zucchini, eggplants, tomatoes, cucumbers, bell pepper, etc. In any form (stew, boiled, baked, grill, vegetable salads, soups);
- Nuts: peanuts, almonds, cashews, pistachios, not more than 20 g;
- Fruits are preferable to apples, pears, citrus fruits, as well as berries.
The choice is quite wide and you can easily prepare every evening new interesting dishes. Remember that the portion at night should not be higher than 200-250 kcal, and in terms of 200-250 there is best for 1.5-2 hours before sleep.
Try to make the evening menu more diverse. Alternate dairy products with vegetables, meat and fish. This will provide the body with the necessary vitamins and microelements and will help to gain an ideal figure without harm to health.
Natalia Grigorieva, a nutritionist doctor, managing partner of the clinics "Epilaik" and "Premium Esetyaks"
Night snacks bring us only harm. During sleep, our body begins to burn fats, which it is in the afternoon: the brain rests, we do not use any food, and the level of sugar is maintained by burning your own fats, so sleep must be normalized.
If we artificially postpone sleep (for example, go to bed at one or two in the morning), then the sugar level drops, and closer to midnight the so-called "zhor" begins, we go to the refrigerator and eat everything. By 21.00, our digestive system gets tired of digesting food physically and it needs biological rest. Therefore, heavy food that requires long-term processing (proteins, meat) will be digested much longer in the evening than during the day.
Such food remains undigested in the intestines and becomes an excellent environment for bacteria and fungi, and they, in turn, will produce their metabolic products and poison us from the inside. In fact, this is a process of decay and, as a result, intoxication of the body. If this happens often, the body begins to spend its energy reserves very slowly, and this always contributes to weight gain.Take the test Isn't it time for you to go on a diet? How true are your eating habits? Take the test and find out the whole truth about your diet.
Proponents of intuitive eating believe that hunger cannot be tolerated, even if it is a night hunger. If you really want to eat (and not just gnaw something under the TV series, please yourself with a cake or a multi-storey sausage sandwich), you need to boldly open the refrigerator. And choose the right foods for a late snack from it. Such that they will not be deposited on the sides, and will benefit the body. And some will also improve sleep.
We want to note right away that a night snack should not be the main meal of the day, when you were hungry all day, were on a diet, and in the late afternoon you can't stand it and are full. This is the wrong approach. In this case, you cannot help but overeat. Yes, and you will most likely fall for unhealthy products. During the day, you need to eat normally, and not be afraid to have a snack if night hunger suddenly attacks.
We will tell you what foods you can eat in the evening and even at night.
A small sandwich of unsalted, preferably cereal, cracker with vegetables, lettuce or a slice of chicken fillet - it will fill you perfectly, you will not have the desire to eat more than you need to satisfy your hunger (unless, of course, you do not pour mayonnaise or other hot sauce on this buttered).
A glass of kefir at night is a classic that many diets recommend. Kefir will bring you complete protein, vitamins, minerals, and will be a source of calcium. It satiates and satisfies mild hunger. It also improves digestion. If you are very hungry, then you can add a spoonful of bran to kefir.
Warm milk helps to relax, rest, sleep. Calms the nervous system, relieves irritation. Milk contains the protein lactum, which has a calming effect on the body, lowers blood pressure and lowers the level of cortisol, a hormone produced during stress.
If you are very hungry and understand that a small snack is not enough, cook yourself some milk porridge. Oatmeal is desirable. But only from flakes, which need to be cooked for 15-20 minutes, quick-cooking flakes do not carry valuable nutrients, since they are processed with steam and then dried.
If you want something sweet before going to bed, try eating a baked apple instead of cakes and sweets. Place it in the microwave for 3 minutes, sprinkle with cinnamon and honey. Apples are high in vitamin C and fiber and low in calories.
Another good snack or even a light meal is a slice of turkey fillet. It is dietary, contains almost no carbohydrates that can be deposited on the sides. But there is a lot of protein, vitamins (A, E, group B) and minerals that will help saturate the body without overloading it. It is better to eat poultry at night in an amount of no more than 100 grams, for a side dish - green salad without dressing or stewed vegetables.
If you really want something sweet, then you can eat a banana. It is, of course, quite high in calories, it contains a lot of simple carbohydrates, but it saturates for a long time. In addition, bananas contain potassium and magnesium, which are logs for the nervous system, they will help to calm down and fall asleep.
It is rich in vitamins A and E, as well as fatty acids - substances that are called natural antidepressants. Cheese also contains tryptophan, which reduces stress and relieves irritation, an amino acid from which melatonin is synthesized.
And cheese is a rather fatty product. This is his minus, but this is his plus, since he satisfies hunger quite well. Therefore, if you manage to eat a very small, 30 grams, piece of cheese, then it may well be used for a snack and damping night hunger.
Nuts are very high in calories and healthy, so one hundred percent will help to kill the night worm. It is important to restrain yourself and eat too much: 5-7 almonds will help not only satisfy hunger, but also supply your body with B vitamins and magnesium.
It contains magnesium and B vitamins. Magnesium perfectly calms and relaxes muscles, B vitamins support the nervous system.
One of the best late-night snacks is a slice of white, not overly oily fish. Cod, hake, haddock, pike perch will do. Better to have the fish baked in the oven or steamed. You can supplement it with vegetables, fresh or steamed, but only without sauce, it will give too many calories and fats, and even can have an exciting effect, prevent easy falling asleep.
A great nighttime snack is steamed or steamed vegetables. They are rich in vitamins and minerals, they improve digestion, they contain very few calories. But you need to stew them with a minimum amount of vegetable or butter.
Regular stressful shocks, irregular working hours lead to the fact that many people endure dinner at night, which subsequently leads to the fact that the person can recover. Being at home in the evening, most of them have time to look into the refrigerator in search of delicious food.
The question arises, what is allowed to eat at night and does it harm the body?
Is it okay to eat at night?
There is a certain food group that is allowed to be consumed before bedtime.
Carbohydrates are prohibited, since they provoke the synthesis of insulin, which sends signals to the brain to burn fat and sugar.
During sleep, a person rests, therefore, all processes slow down and the food that was received before bedtime does not have time to be digested.
It is for this reason that many pathologies of the gastrointestinal tract develop, the immune system weakens, the balance of beneficial microorganisms in the intestine is disturbed, as a result of which excess weight appears.
During a late meal, the hormonal background is disrupted, which leads to the appearance of diseases such as osteochondrosis, atherosclerosis, increased blood pressure, and disorders of the nervous system.
It is important to remember that during sleep, rejuvenating processes occur in the human body, and nighttime snacks lead to the cessation of the production of the sex hormone and to premature aging.
In response to the question: "Is it okay to eat at night?" it becomes clear that it is not.
Why is it harmful to eat at night?
It takes at least 3 hours to process food. When 80% of the daily ration is eaten, the time increases.
Therefore, the last meal should take place 3-4 hours before bedtime.
An overnight fast forces the body to process excess fat, conserving glucose. Going to bed feeling hungry is good.
The body manages to recover and rejuvenate, since in the daytime these processes are impracticable due to regular stress and eating.
In addition, hunger improves the production of melatonin. This is a substance that allows a person to fall asleep and get enough sleep. If you eat even a small amount of food, this process stops and insomnia begins to torment.
Important! At retirement age, a person must eat food 5 hours before bedtime.
There is a group of people for whom fasting is contraindicated:
- youth under the age of 25;
- patients with stomach and duodenal ulcers.
Advice! Dinner should consist of protein foods, fresh vegetables and dairy products.
The opinion of nutritionists
Nutritionists are uncomfortable with nighttime snacks. But what if a person works at night? For this, a special diet has been developed, which is based on the rules of metabolism and body behavior.
Diet and night time can be combined:
- To maintain energy balance, it is necessary to include long-digestible carbohydrates in the diet. These include: cereals, fresh vegetables, cereals.
- During the day, protein foods are added to the diet.
With proper nutrition, you can lose up to 5 kilograms per month, if you are overweight.
During sleep, the organs of the digestive tract are not able to produce substances for the digestion of incoming food.
Night snack remains “dead weight” in the stomach and duodenum until awakening.
The pressure exerted on the diaphragm disrupts the work of the cardiac aorta, which leads to a malfunction of the blood circulation in the abdominal cavity and legs, as well as the saturation of blood cells with oxygen particles and nutrients.
Oxygen starvation is experienced by the brain, it is for this reason that a person, getting up in the morning, feels sleepy and lethargic.
Lying food all night in the stomach begins to ferment, and during digestion the body receives far from nutrients and vitamins, but rather "garbage".
For this reason, many observe the following signs in the morning:
- decreased appetite during breakfast;
- heaviness in the stomach;
- stale appearance of the epidermis;
- the presence of bad breath.
Eating at night leads to weight gain. The liver processes carbohydrates and converts it into energy. At night, a person consumes less energy than during the day.
Unspent glucose turns into fat, which subsequently settles not only on the outer parts of the body, but also on the internal organs.
The emergence of obesity leads to the formation of diabetes mellitus, atherosclerosis and other diseases of the cardiovascular system.
What can you eat at night?
It is worth taking food at least 2 hours before bedtime.
There are a number of foods that are allowed to be eaten at night with benefits and without harm to health, but in small quantities:
- Dairy products. These include low fat kefir and cottage cheese, yogurt (without flavors and preservatives), Prostokvasha. The presence of a protein allows you to quench the hunger and fill the lack of useful microorganisms in the gastrointestinal tract, removes the bouts of heartburn, normalizes the digestive process.
- Chicken breast Refers to diet foods due to a minor amount of carbohydrates. Poultry meat is rich in minerals, vitamins. You can prepare a white flesh on a pair or boil (without salt and taste amplifiers).
- Fish low-fat varieties Contains a significant amount of iodine and phosphorus. Seafood make it possible to reduce the level of harmful cholesterol in the blood. It is recommended to use the following varieties: Cod, Mintai, Heck, Tuna, Side.
- Vegetables - Low-calorie and useful food. These include - carrots, beets, broccoli, cucumbers, tomatoes, salad, spinach, etc. The fiber, vitamins and elements make it possible to improve the operation of the gastrointestinal tract, derive of harmful and toxic compounds from the body, as well as remove fat deposits in a short period of time. Eat vegetables are best in the fresh (in salads), in boiled, baked form.
- Dark chocolate It has antioxidant properties, contains a small amount of sugar. Chocolate helps to regulate blood pressure, reduces the formation of inflammatory processes and improves mood.
- Low-calorie cheese In small quantities, it allows to normalize sleep without affecting negatively on the figure. These include such species like: Toff, Riccot, Crested, Fetta, Mozarella. Their caloric content per 100 grams of the product does not exceed 150 kcal. It is possible to quench the hunger if you eat 2-3 slice.
- Fruit allowed to eat Citrus: orange, lemon, grapefruit, pears, and from berries - cherry. It is they bring toxic substances that prevent the process of fermentation of non-fulfillment foods, render a cleansing effect and normalize the work of the gastrointestinal tract. Also regulate the daily rhythms, allowing you to calmly sleep.
- Egg products . Protein, a simple egg is allowed to eat 2 hours before sleep. A more dietary option is counted boiled, but you can make scrambled eggs without oil or with a small addition of olive. The last option is used not more than 1 time in 10 days.
- Milk with honey. This composition helps to quickly calm the nervous system, having prepared the body to sleep. You can also make herbal infusion or drink a glass of simple water. It is important to remember that at night drink a lot of fluid is not recommended to avoid the appearance of edema.
- Almond It will help to quickly quench the feeling of hunger. At night it is allowed to eat no more than 5-6 pieces.
What can not be on the night?
Consider a list of products whose use for the night is categorically prohibited:
- Snacks - chips, popcorn, crackers, flakes. High calorie and chemically processed ingredients.
- Salt or pickled vegetables. Due to the presence of a significant amount of salt, water is delayed in the body.
- Fatty fish and meat - Pork, beef, mackerel, salmon.
- Fast food food - Fast Food, sandwiches.
- Bakery and flour pastry - Buns, bread, cookies and so on. They are delayed in the stomach for a long time, increase blood glucose levels.
- Milk chocolate, candy, ice cream.
- Porridge - rice, buckwheat, millet, wheat, oatmeal and others. We are rich in carbohydrates, so it is recommended to use them at breakfast or at lunch.
- Dried fruits contain concentrated sugar.
- Caffeinated drinks - Coca-Cola, tea (black and green), coffee.
- Sweet and high-calorie cakes.
What fruits shouldn't be eaten at night?
Not all types of fruits are allowed to be eaten at night due to the significant amount of complex carbohydrates. It is very difficult to recycle them at night.
So, what fruits are forbidden to eat:
- Apples stimulate the production of gastric juice, increasing appetite.
- Bananas increase the load on the pancreas.
- Grapes causes fermentation.
- Avocado high-calorie product.
Curd before bed
Cottage cheese Is a product obtained by heating curdled milk and removing whey from it. It is very useful for humans, as it contains - calcium, phosphorus, iron, magnesium.
There are 3 types of product:
- fatty - eighteen%;
- medium fat - 9%;
- fat-free - from 6% and below.
It is the last option that is allowed to eat at night 50 minutes before bedtime. The calorie content in 100 grams of the product is 110 Kcal, it is rich in protein, casein and does not contain any carbohydrates. The nightly portion should not exceed 150 grams.
Eaten cottage cheese at night will help saturate the body with useful elements, remove the feeling of hunger and at the same time will not be deposited in the form of fat on the hips, waist and sides.
To improve the taste of the dish, it is allowed to add fresh berries or any permitted fruits to it.
Why can't you eat sweets at night?
During sleep, the pancreas works at full capacity to synthesize the most insulin.
During the night, the human body produces exactly the amount of glucose that is needed to quickly and efficiently get energy in the morning.
Unused sugar residues are deposited as subcutaneous fat. For this reason, nutritionists do not recommend eating sweet and pastry pastries at night.
The consequences of eating at night
Eaten food at night does not pass without a trace for the body.
With regular snacks before bedtime, the following problems and diseases may appear:
- premature aging;
- diseases of the cardiovascular system;
- nervous disorders - apathy, depression, irritability;
- dysfunction of the digestive system;
- sleep disorders.
What can you eat at night without harm?
In order for the food eaten at night to bring exceptional benefits to the body, you need to know which of them can be used to satisfy hunger before bedtime.
- walnuts no more than 50 g;
- pear, apple (if there are no problems with the digestive system);
- vegetables - white cabbage, broccoli, tomatoes, beets, carrots;
- fat-free yogurt or kefir (room temperature);
- steamed omelet;
- herbal infusion with honey;
- pure water;
How many calories can you eat at night?
The calorie content of food eaten at night should not exceed 500 Kcal, additionally allowed to eat - 2 fruits or a small handful of prunes (dried apricots). To satisfy hunger in the evening, it is better to use protein foods.
Causes of night hunger
Experts identify several common reasons for the appearance of a regular feeling of hunger before bed. Let's consider them in more detail.
Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract
A common cause of a nighttime meal is considered to be improper functioning of the digestive tract, namely the production of gastric juice.
As a rule, this violation is normal in people whose work takes place at night.
An excessive amount of juice produced by the stomach causes discomfort (in some cases, a burning sensation), which signals the brain about a “false” feeling of hunger. To eat food at night means to drown out unpleasant sensations. But at the same time, the body does not rest, but tries to digest the amount of food received during non-working hours.
Thus, a person aggravates the problem, which leads in the future to the development of more serious diseases such as gastritis and ulcers.
When any stressful condition appears, the body gets nervous exhaustion and emotional fatigue.
At the same time, a person's self-preservation system is triggered to temporarily increase the functional capabilities of the body for salvation.
Regular manifestations of stressful, depressive and apathetic states activate this system and increase the synthesis of the hormone cortisol, which forces the body to seek and store energy.
Chronic stress reduces the body's defenses, increasing the risk of developing infectious diseases.
In the presence of a nervous state and a constant feeling of hunger, it is necessary to reevaluate life by taking measures to calm down.
Malnutrition during the day
The main and common reason for the presence of night hunger is due to the lack of the correct daily regimen and nutrition.
The human body adapts to the resulting conditions, which are reflected in the work of the biological clock and the endocrine system.
Subject to proper nutrition and daily routine, the hormone melatonin, which is responsible for normalizing sleep, begins to be produced in a person after 6 pm. And the hormone leptin, synthesized during the daytime, makes you want to eat delicious food.
When the regime of the day is violated, the production of hormones also changes, therefore, during the day a person has no appetite, and closer to night it begins to wake up.
How to protect yourself from night trips to the kitchen?
Here are some tips on how to keep from going to the refrigerator at night:
- Monitor food intake throughout the day ... Smartphones have a special application that allows you to calculate the nutritional value of food eaten.
- Food - balanced and regular. The number of meals should be at least 5 times.
- During the day, you need to drink about 2 liters of clean liquid for the normal functioning of the whole organism.
- Be sure to have dinner 2-3 hours before bedtime. .
- It is strictly forbidden to eat sweets at night. , as these products increase appetite.
Before going to bed, be sure to walk in the fresh air, after which it is allowed to drink a soothing herbal infusion or warm milk with honey.
What can you eat at night for a pregnant woman?
Nutrition during pregnancy should be balanced and correct. This is required for the normal development of the child.
Experts recommend that the expectant mother stick to a diet so as not to gain excess weight. For this, women stop eating food after 18:00.
What to do if the feeling of hunger does not allow a pregnant woman to sleep? Night snacks are allowed. Consider what food can be eaten by a woman in an “interesting position” at night.
2.5 hours before bedtime, it is recommended to eat easily digestible food with a high protein content:
- dietary white meat - chicken, turkey fillet;
- starch-free vegetables and greens - cucumbers, radishes, eggplants, cauliflower, asparagus, parsley, carrots, kohlrabi;
- dairy ingredients - cottage cheese, kefir, milk;
- boiled cereals in small quantities;
- chamomile tea or milk with a little honey - will allow you to relax the nervous system, calm down and prepare for sleep;
- toffu cheese;
- sesame seeds;
- dried apricots.
The above ingredients can help satisfy your hunger by eating a small portion. For a snack, it is forbidden to use ingredients that stimulate the production of gastric juice and induce appetite.
- sweet confectionery and flour products;
- salt, sugar and other spices;
- fruits and berries with a high acid content.
What to eat at night after training?
A meal is considered effective if it is eaten within 2 hours after training, 40 minutes before bedtime. The menu will directly depend on the purpose for which a person visits the gym - to increase muscle mass or reduce weight.
Let's consider a basic list of products for each type.
Elimination of body fat:
- Boiled poultry fillet (chicken or turkey), seafood (you need to monitor the calorie content), low-fat fish.
- From vegetables it is allowed to eat - legumes, vegetables without starch;
- Steamed egg white omelet;
- Low-fat cottage cheese and kefir;
- Herbal tea, plain water, freshly squeezed juice from vegetables and fruits.
To build muscle mass:
- Raw quail eggs;
- Meat products - pork, beef or veal;
- Groats - rice, buckwheat;
- Dairy products - cheese, cottage cheese, kefir;
- Drinks - Protein shake 30 minutes after intense workout.
Prohibited foods for people actively involved in sports:
- alcoholic and carbonated drinks;
- black and green tea, coffee, cold drinks, cocoa;
- dried fruits;
After finishing the workout, the body is in an agitated state, therefore, additional toning will harm:
- increase blood pressure;
- will have a destructive effect on muscle tissue;
- worsen the psycho-emotional state.
For a person who regularly visits the gym from 3 times in 7 days, the calorie content of dinner should not exceed 500 Kcal, when building muscle mass - 800 Kcal, and for weight loss - 300 Kcal.
Recommendations of specialists! For effective training and without harm to health, it is recommended to eat food with a high carbohydrate content half an hour before class - muesli, oatmeal, natural yogurt, unsweetened fruits.
You should not heavily load the digestive system, the main thing is to have a little snack.
In order not to be tormented by the question: “What to eat at night to lose weight?”, It is important to monitor your lifestyle, quality and diet, move more and walk more often in the fresh air. And with a slight feeling of hunger, use permitted foods. In this case, there will be no harm to the body if the portion of food is insignificant.
Nutrition and Healthy Lifestyle Specialist and author of myfitnesblog.com. Over the years, it has been successfully helping women and men lose weight and maintain a beautiful figure.
Anyone who wants to lose extra pounds is interested in what you can eat before going to bed at night while losing weight. Are there any dishes that can be put on the table before going to bed? It is important to remember the main principle - not to be left alone with an unpleasant feeling of hunger. Together with a specialist at the weight loss clinic Elena Morozova, we understand this issue, as well as how to properly organize your diet in order to feel full during the day.
Is it possible to eat after 6 pm
Even necessary. You shouldn't allow yourself to go to bed very hungry. So, you run the risk of putting your body into a saving mode - everything eaten during the day will accumulate for the time being, until you again decide to do without dinner. And this is not to mention the deterioration of health.
It is better to say goodbye to excess weight correctly. If you plan to go to bed at midnight, then the last snack is scheduled for 9 pm, because the main thing is to endure a 3-hour break. One has only to determine what can and is better to eat at night while losing weight so as not to get the opposite effect.
At this time, it is better not to use:
- baked goods, pasta;
- red meat;
- smoked meats, sausage;
- White rice;
- chocolate and nuts;
- sweet fruits;
- yogurt with additives;
- fast food.
The last point should be eliminated altogether for a person who is going to lose weight. After 6 pm, you should give up fast carbohydrates, as well as high-calorie meals. The menu that you can eat at night while losing weight should include only low-calorie foods. It is important to know in advance how much it is permissible to impose restrictions on the diet in order to prevent disruption of the work of some internal organs. Therefore, you need to lose weight under the supervision of a specialist.
What foods and fruits can you eat in the evening while losing weight
For a late meal, you should choose food that will improve the quality of sleep and will not move the scale arrow to the edge of the increase. It is worth knowing in advance that thirst is often disguised as a feeling of hunger. Therefore, it is helpful to drink some water before going to the refrigerator.
[stextbox id = "custom" shadow = "false" bwidth = "3" bcolor = "C4333D" image = "null"] Our additional services: Bioimpedance | Marutaka Massage | Pressotherapy | Ion Detox [/ stextbox]
When deciding to have a snack, remember the rule - the portion should be small, and the calorie content is not high. In addition, fast-digesting foods should be preferred.
What to look for:
- Fermented milk. Here you need to choose the right one - not too fatty or fat-free. Within reason - natural yogurt or kefir. After such a snack, the stomach will not be overloaded and unnecessary energy is not generated that has nowhere to spend. What to do if you want to eat at night - drink a glass of kefir, this will be the optimal amount.
- Milk. This drink is recommended to be taken warm. It calms the nervous system and causes drowsiness, as it contains the beneficial tryptophan. Sleep will pass calmly, because the body does not have to digest anything.
- Eggs. If you are not allergic, then this dish will be an excellent source of protein. Ideal if you boil 2 hard-boiled or make an omelet with tomatoes. A quality and not heavy snack.
- Lean poultry meat. What can you eat in the evening for dinner while losing weight: up to 150 grams of chicken breast or fillet, such meat is considered low-calorie, so it can be consumed even 2-3 hours before going to bed. Ideal with steamed vegetables.
- White fish. There is little fat in this product, but a lot of protein and benefits. If it is too late for a snack, it is better to choose low-fat species - hake, cod or pike.
- Berries. It is important to choose carefully because not all berries are available after midnight. A glass of blueberries or strawberries contains a minimum of calories, and the benefits will be enormous. This glass contains fiber, pectins, vitamins and minerals.
- Vegetable stew. They are perfectly absorbed and work as a natural sorbent, while the most useful ones are steamed. It is recommended to salt less, so the benefits will be higher.
What fruits can be eaten at night, and which cannot
The best way to avoid overeating before bed is to take a closer look at the gifts of nature. And when you don't feel like vegetables, then a delicious pineapple is an excellent substitute for a sandwich. It remains to figure out what is harmless to feast on, and what is better to refrain from.
- Watermelon. The minimum amount of calories is 27 kcal per 100 grams of weight. But this berry has a diuretic effect, so instead of sleeping you will have to run to the toilet.
- Banana. 90 kcal per 100 grams. Relieves fatigue, invigorates and cheers up. Too hearty fruit for a snack.
Is it possible to eat bananas and pomegranates while losing weight in the evening: only if you are planning a party, not a bed. And from the pomegranate in the morning, the face will seem swollen, as it contains a lot of water.
A small list of what to eat at night for losing weight, if you really want to:
- Orange. 40 kcal per 100 grams. Perfectly helps to cope with hunger, enhances immunity, and together with grapefruit will help burn fat. But people with gastritis should be wary of it, because it can irritate the stomach.
- Apples. The perfect way to avoid feeling hungry. 47 kcal per 100 grams, pectin and vitamins help to improve skin condition, the fruit itself is quickly digested. The main thing is to choose not too sweet or sour varieties, otherwise you will quickly want to eat.
- Mango. 65 kcal per 100 grams. Tangible benefits for vision, is one of the fruits that can be eaten in the evening while losing weight.
- A pineapple. 52 kcal per 100 grams. It is able to cleanse the body of toxins and toxins, saturates, normalizes cholesterol levels. But it is not recommended for people with gastrointestinal problems. Before you swap out your evening snack for juicy pineapple slices, you need to check your digestive system.
Is it possible to eat grapefruit, orange and tangerines at night while losing weight - yes. Citrus fruits do an excellent job of fat burning mission, strengthen the walls of blood vessels and immunity. But they are only suitable for people with a strong stomach. Otherwise, trying to get by with fruit before bedtime can result in cutting pains and gastritis. In most cases, the mucous membrane is disturbed and requires long-term treatment, during which weight loss will have to be forgotten. To avoid this, it is better to be under the supervision of a specialist.
For other fruits, it is best not to overeat. For example, kiwi can be eaten in the evening while losing weight, if there are no problems with the digestive system. People with ulcers and gastritis are not advised to abuse this fruit. It cannot be stored in the refrigerator or processed thermally, otherwise it will lose all its beneficial properties.
When it comes to persimmon, the opinions of experts are ambiguous. On the one hand, high levels of amino acids help reduce insomnia and irritability. Tryptophan helps to reduce the depressive state, and light protein and glucose saturate a person with the necessary charge of vigor in the morning. Is it possible to eat persimmons in the evening while losing weight - yes, but most of the fruit is water, so in the morning it is quite possible to wake up with a swollen face.
Berries are a great substitute for any snack. They are rich in antioxidants and vitamins, they do not contain harmful cholesterol and fats. The only negative is that you need to start eating them little by little, since they can irritate the mucous membranes. Therefore, it is better to consume one small handful without discomfort than to eat two and get irritated.
In addition, the berries should not be thermally processed, otherwise the entire beneficial effect is lost.
What can you eat in the evening for dinner with weight loss: a list
What to do if you want to eat at night - prepare a healthy, light snack that will harm your weight and health:
- Boiled chicken breast or fillet and with vegetables, as an option - make soufflé from meat.
- A couple of soft-boiled eggs - 155 kcal / 100 grams. They provide light protein and are quickly absorbed by the body.
- A small amount of lean fish - hake, pike perch, pollock, cod, trout or salmon. If you bake it, then the calorie content will be small - from 80 to 150 kcal for every 100 grams.
- A small amount of rabbit meat - 100 grams will be enough. Caloric content at 155 kcal.
- A handful of pumpkin seeds. Containing half the daily dose of magnesium in 50 grams, it helps prepare for sleep and relax.
- Buckwheat with kefir or vegetables is another option for a hearty and healthy dish.
- Low-fat cottage cheese with added fruit.
This is not a complete list of what you can eat for dinner while losing weight or at night without harm, so as not to gain weight. But to add something to it, you need to consult with a specialist.
List of foods that are better off
It is important to remember that not every dish is allowed to be used as a dinner. Some drinks are generally not recommended to be drunk after 18:00:
- energy drinks;
- anything that contains caffeine;
- alcohol - the exception is light wine.
In addition, it is worth avoiding ingredients with a low glycemic index. They will take a long time to digest and cause restless sleep.
In addition to fatty or sweet foods, it is necessary to exclude:
- any legumes, cabbage and zucchini - they create excessive gas formation;
- any pickles;
- filled yoghurts;
Do not lean on heavy foods or those that take a long time to digest. It is not recommended to take an extra portion or eat heavily before bed. All the energy that does not have time to be spent will be deposited on the sides and stomach. But you can't be malnourished either - you need to create a balance of both consumed and spent. A specialist will help you develop the right system that will not harm your health.
Also note that spices can provoke hunger in a couple of hours.
How to combine products correctly
To get the result, you need to build the right scheme. Traditionally, the diet consists of three groups of components:
- Protein. To digest them well, it is necessary to create an acidic environment. Among the popular and useful representatives: meat, nuts, legumes, eggplant, fish.
- Fats. Animal and vegetable - butter or vegetable oil, cream, sour cream and similar ingredients.
- Carbohydrates. To quickly convert to energy, an alkaline environment is required. The brightest representatives: honey, pumpkin, zucchini, potatoes, jam, fruits, berries, sugar, rye and oats.
What is useful and should you eat to lose weight at night? Something that doesn't hurt and that doesn't contain a lot of calories. It is necessary to draw up a diet in advance, consult with a specialist and keep a food log in which everything eaten will be recorded. A professional nutritionist at the Elena Morozova clinic will select the necessary diet for you, taking into account the condition of your body and the intended goals. But most importantly, it will help to form healthy eating habits so that the desire to eat before bedtime no longer visits you.
Options for useful dinners
To achieve the result and see how the arrow on the scales smoothly moves towards the reduction of numbers, it is necessary to eat correctly. For this, useful and not heavy dishes are selected as an evening meal:
- Vegetable soup with chicken. Optionally, you can add greens. Hot broth has a positive effect on the stomach and soothes the nervous system.
- Omelet with tomatoes and spinach. Light protein in combination with vitamins.
- Salmon with broccoli. Easily replaced on a vegetable salad. Meat is quickly absorbed, vegetable is rich in fiber.
- Breast with stewed vegetables. Bird can be prepared for a pair or in a brass cabinet, the side dish is stealing under the lid with a minimum salt and seasoning.
- Beef chatlet with salad. Usually complemented by fresh carrots and cherry tomatoes.
The most ambiguous component during the evening snack is a cottage cheese mass or a solid product. Is it possible to have cottage cheese at night or in the evening when weight loss - yes, but with caution. It actively stimulates a set of muscle mass and helps restore muscles. It has everything that stimulates weight relief:
- Low calorie content;
But uncontrolled use can lead to a deterioration of the kidney work, increase the risk of cardiovascular problems. Therefore, it is necessary to use it with caution.
How to overcome the desire to eat before bed
It is impossible to fight with a feeling of hunger. It is better to eat something useful, with a high glycemic index and low calorie content. A little soup or broth, half of the portion of cottage cheese or cheese, stew vegetables or low-fat meat are suitable.
[STEXTBOX ID = "CUSTOM" shadow = "false" bwidth = "3" bcolor = "c4333d" image = "null"] see thanks to our customers and success stories - see [/ StextBox]
It is recommended to control the amount of eaten and not rush before going to sleep. Optimally dinner 3-4 hours before sleep and eat a glass of kefir per hour before the alleged pen. Such a regime will help to lose weight, do not have to suffer from the desire to get into the refrigerator and overeat in the morning.
It is important to approach nutrition. Otherwise, it is possible to break the metabolism, the return of which to normal will take a long time and will negatively affect health. There are no magic products that need to be easy to eat to lose weight overnight. First of all, it is worth paying attention to your diet. Elena Morozova Clinic Specialist Tips will help you not only balance the menu, but also to lose weight. Then the result will be entrenched for many years.
Cherry juice and chia seeds
Cherry juice (natural, rather than packaged nectar) is an incredibly useful low-calorie drink, which not only supplies the body with the necessary vitamins and antioxidants, but also is able to stimulate the production of melatonin - sleep hormone. Studies revealed a connection between the regular use of the cherry juice at night and a noticeable improvement in sleep quality - especially well the drink helped people suffering from insomnia. A pair of tablespoons of seeds of chia, added to juice, will provide the body with vegetable protein, fiber and tryptophan - the precursor of melatonin. A high antioxidant load of these products will be a high antioxidant load of these products - while you sleep, active substances in the meter will fight with free radicals, reduce inflammation and slow down aging.
Banana and pumpkin seeds
Contrary to the opinion about the dangers of bananas for the figure, nutritionists recommend eating this sweet fruit at night, just in small quantities. Bananas, like cherries, are able to stimulate the production of melatonin, and their rich mineral composition will have a beneficial effect on the health of all body systems, from cardiovascular to nervous. Mash one (if the fruit is large, then half) banana with a fork and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds - they are rich in vegetable protein, healthy fats, antioxidants and vitamins.